{SOLVED} Kdesu not working properly on some apps.

Kernels & Hardware, configuring network, installing services

{SOLVED} Kdesu not working properly on some apps.

Postby Xeno Idaltu » 2019-09-15 22:22

Debian Buster (KDE)

I have a fresh install of Debian. I want to use KDE Partition Manager but after entering my root password Kdesu just hangs there frozen for eternity, until I kill the process. Same happens to Discovery and Muon Package Manager when trying to configure the Sources List. Opening Bleachbit in Root or when Muon asks Root Password to install programs don't have this issue tho. Weird, I've never experienced this behavior on Kubuntu, Manjaro, and/or OpenSuse.

I tried using the Su command but then I get this error:
"No support tools were found for file systems currently presen on hard disks in this computer"
* But I already have e2fsprogs and ntfs-3g installed

What should I do?

Honestly, I don't even know why people say Debian is "extremely stable". Aside from this issue, I have encountered other minor issues that have been reported by other people, years have passed by and no fixes have been made. Like for example Konsole crashes when trying to download/install a colorsheme via it's add-on or when Falkon crashes all the time and it even freezes the entire desktop.. :roll:
Last edited by Xeno Idaltu on 2019-09-16 20:57, edited 1 time in total.
Xeno Idaltu

Re: Kdesu not working properly on some apps.

Postby NFT5 » 2019-09-16 04:35

Don't use it.

I've quoted this very good explanation from https://askubuntu.com/questions/1044354/kdesu-not-working

This is a very much more complex question than it first appeared to me to be :)

First of all, it is highly recommended not to use kdesu or kdesudo to run graphical applications as root or with administrative privelages.

Why is it not recommended?

The short answer is that it is considered a substantial security risk.

The security risk is being discussed at length (and disputed) in a number of different posts and bug reports.

@DK Bose kindly provided some links as a good starting point for anyone who wants a bit more detail: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthrea ... er-problem

The above link led me to some other links which show a 'lively' discussion about it: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=152150 and also https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=179678

which in turn led me to a blog post about the security problem that is being discussed:

https://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/ ... s-as-root/

Basically, to prevent users from exposing themselves to this security risk, running Kate or Dolphin as root has been disabled.

Kate now allows you to save system files etc. by asking you to enter your password when you require permission to save your file (via Polkit - i.e a system dialogue box appears requesting permission). This should mean it is not necessary to run Kate as root.

Dolphin will be doing the same in the near future but the change has not been implemented yet.

(On the sometimes heated discussions about this change, there were criticisms that disabling running Dolphin as root should not have been implemented until an alternative was in place. The counter argument was that the security risk was too great to allow it.)

In the meantime, there are other file managers such as PCManFM or Thunar which allow running as root (for those who understand the security implications but require the functionality).

I can't think of a lot of situations where it would be necessary to run a graphical user application as root outwith the 'editing system files' scenario. Kate can do this now without needing to be run as root.

Some of the use cases that sparked arguments against disabling running Dolphin as root, involved users wanting to create symlinks on their system files whilst using the GUI and also for penetration testing where, for example, Kali Linux runs the entire session as root.

The other reccurring argument was that if a user was aware of the security risk and wanted to run graphical applications as root anyway, then they should be allowed to do so.

kdesudo is not installed in Kubuntu 18.04 by default and is no longer in the Debian and Ubuntu repositories. It is not recommended to be used because it is unmaintained (and the general suggestion that you shouldn't be running graphical user interface programs with X as root).

kdesu is installed (as part of kde-cli-tools) but is not in your $PATH by default. You can access the binary from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexec/kf5/kdesu (and create a symlink in your /usr/local/bin directory if you don't fancy typing that out each time you want to use it - https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthrea ... ht=kdesudo), but it is not recommended that you do so (due to the security implications) and will not work for Kate and Dolphin anyway.

GParted works very well in KDE and comes with the appropriate files to allow execution under pkexec. Synaptic is far superior to Muon and Discover.
NFT5

Postby L_V » 2019-09-16 08:37

Xeno Idaltu wrote:Debian Buster (KDE)
I have a fresh install of Debian.
Kdesu just hangs
Something wrong here.
kdesu does not exist in Buster.
Code: Select all
apt policy kdesu
L_V

Postby NFT5 » 2019-09-16 09:38

Actually it does exist. In exactly the place referenced in the quote.

But, as explained, this isn't in the PATH, so is not recognised by bash.
NFT5

Postby L_V » 2019-09-16 10:36

NFT5 wrote:Actually it does exist
Show it with this command.
apt policy kdesu
L_V

Postby roseway » 2019-09-16 10:41

There's no kdesu package, it's included in kde-cli-tools.

eric@kestrel:~$ apt-cache policy kde-cli-tools
kde-cli-tools:
  Installed: 4:5.14.5-1
  Candidate: 4:5.14.5-1
  Version table:
 *** 4:5.14.5-1 500
        500 http://deb.debian.org/debian buster/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
eric@kestrel:~$
Eric
roseway

Postby L_V » 2019-09-16 10:52

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexec/kf5/kdesu is not a user command.

/usr/bin/kdesudo was part of kdesudo package, but no "kdesu".
https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=kdesudo
L_V

Postby Xeno Idaltu » 2019-09-16 14:30

also thought Kdesu was obsolete until yesterday when I checked on KSysGuard that kdesu was hanging there when entering my Root password on KDE-Partition.

I read somewhere on a Debian post that there were two versions/paths of kdesu or something like that and that we should use the second one. I don't know where exactly I saw that post but I just reinstalled Debian Buster again but this time I unticked Debian Desktop Environment, Printer Server, and the Standard System Utilities. Leaving only KDE Plasma to install.

It worked properly for some time, restarting the system three times. But then, all of a sudden it freezes again!! 8)
Xeno Idaltu

Postby L_V » 2019-09-16 14:55

So , no kdesu user command in Buster.
You need first to clarify where you found kdesu user command.
Can you try this one:
which kdesu
ls -l `which kdesu`
L_V

Postby stevepusser » 2019-09-16 17:00

If you understand and accept the risks, you can create a link to it in /usr/bin. Example for 64-bit installs:

# ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexec/kf5/kdesu /usr/bin/kdesu

At least, that's the same solution that's been working since KDE 4 made its way into Debian. But I'm not really sure you need it any longer.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Kodi 18.6, Blender 2.8.2, 5.5 kernels, Chromium with va-api, Telegram-desktop 1.9.21, Foliate 2.0.0
stevepusser

Postby Xeno Idaltu » 2019-09-16 19:02

The link tweak didn't work. :/

I know I could use GParted and Synaptic but we are talking Debian "Stable" here. The Mother Distro, not a derivative or Repo-based. Netrunner Linux uses Debian Buster repos and the kdesu issue is not found there, but it's bloated, slow, and ugly interface.
Xeno Idaltu

Postby stevepusser » 2019-09-16 19:44

Xeno Idaltu wrote:The link tweak didn't work. :/

I know I could use GParted and Synaptic but we are talking Debian "Stable" here. The Mother Distro, not a derivative or Repo-based. Netrunner Linux uses Debian Buster repos and the kdesu issue is not found there, but it's bloated, slow, and ugly interface.

Do you have that "kdesu" file installed at all, then?

If so, what happens if you invoke it using the entire PATH?
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Kodi 18.6, Blender 2.8.2, 5.5 kernels, Chromium with va-api, Telegram-desktop 1.9.21, Foliate 2.0.0
stevepusser

Postby Xeno Idaltu » 2019-09-16 20:55

I fixed it using the Arch Wiki! :mrgreen:

1) Create file kdesurc on ~/.config/

2) Inside it copy/paste:

[super-user-command]
super-user-command=sudo

3) kdesu will now ask for Sudo password instead of SU.

4) Question: Is this alternative more secure or is it still a security concern?
Xeno Idaltu

Postby L_V » 2019-09-16 20:56

@Xeno Idaltu
Again, can you clarify where you find kdesu user command in Buster ?
When you don't report any command feedback, does it mean they report nothing ? If so, better say it clearly.

Kdesu just hangs
L_V wrote:Something wrong here.
apt policy kdesu

which kdesu
ls -l `which kdesu`

Now you have created a link to /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexec/kf5/kdesu /usr/bin/kdesu, of course "which kdesu" will report something, but before, did it report something or nothing ?
Really unclear.
If you found a kdesu user command (your first post), it simply cannot be in Debian Buster "fresh installation", but a mix of something, you should avoid.
L_V

Postby Xeno Idaltu » 2019-09-16 21:28

L_V wrote:@Xeno Idaltu
Again, can you clarify where you find kdesu user command in Buster ?
When you don't report any command feedback, does it mean they report nothing ? If so, better say it clearly.

Kdesu just hangs
L_V wrote:Something wrong here.
apt policy kdesu

which kdesu
ls -l `which kdesu`

Now you have created a link to /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexec/kf5/kdesu /usr/bin/kdesu, of course "which kdesu" will report something, but before, did it report something or nothing ?
Really unclear.

1) It came pre-installed on /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexec/kf5/kdesu
Kdesu comes bundled inside kde-cli-tools, part of KDE Frameworks 5

2) In the past I could open Dolphin as root using the kdesu command via the terminal. I still can't open it on any distro but OpenSuse 15.1
However this "version" of kdesu seems to only work for specific purposes on specific programs.

UPDATE:
3) I did a lot of tweak and downloaded a bunch of stuff, so I need to reinstall Debian because now it's behaving weird. I can now open Muon and SystemSettings5 via the terminal using kdesu. I coulnd't do this on Kubuntu. Weird. I need to read more on kdesu tho.
Xeno Idaltu

Next

Return to System configuration