Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[?] Correlation between Log Files and Display Report

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
bkpsusmitaa

[?] Correlation between Log Files and Display Report

#1 Post by bkpsusmitaa »

A newer laptop is gradually being configured for use.
The details of the HP laptop is here:
https://bit.do/HP_i3_4Gen_Laptop_rajibando
The details of the log files in /var/log/ and the monitor reports are here:
https://bit.do/HPBootReport

The snapshots of the Monitor is in the general format:

Code: Select all

IMG_date_hhmmss.jpg
Could a one-to-one correlation be drawn between the Monitor Report during booting and the Log files?

It interests me hugely to learn the correlation. I assure that this learning is only for Academic interest.

It also interests me because I happened to see a few error messages.

The Debian latest Manual for Buster is here: https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debi ... nce.en.pdf

My system is Debian 9.11.0 stretch.

I searched the manual for the log files individually, but there is nothing. Absolutely nothing.
Freedom is impossible to conceive.
Books that help:
Dale Carnegie's How To Win Friends And Influence People and Emilie Post's Etiquette In Society, In Business, In Politics, And At Home

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [?] Correlation between Log Files and Display Report

#2 Post by p.H »

There is no 1-to-1 correlation between display and logs. A correlation exists but is loose. Some messages may be displayed but not in logs, or the other way around.

The messages in your screen shots are kernel messages. You can find them in kern.log, and also in syslog (among messages from other sources). Most are ACPI errors (usually harmless), others are related to missing firmware files for the ATI/AMD GPU and a bluetooth controller. You need to install the firmware-amd-graphics package.

bkpsusmitaa

#3 Post by bkpsusmitaa »

p.H wrote:There is no 1-to-1 correlation between display and logs. A correlation exists but is loose. Some messages may be displayed but not in logs, or the other way around.
Is this not an irrational design? A rational design would have been to log all errors to individual log files exhaustively. Wouldn't it be? Just rhetorically speaking, of course.

Thank you for the rest lines. Actually, Debian works without my installing the graphics card. So I didn't install the driver.
Books that help:
Dale Carnegie's How To Win Friends And Influence People and Emilie Post's Etiquette In Society, In Business, In Politics, And At Home

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by p.H »

bkpsusmitaa wrote:Is this not an irrational design?
No.
Displayed are not all errors.
There is a lot of information which is logged but not displayed for clarity.
Some errors cannot be logged because they happen before the logging facility is active.

bkpsusmitaa

#5 Post by bkpsusmitaa »

Agreed that logging is not always possible and also optimised for effeciency and speed, Also possibly for real-time errors.

But shouldn't the control to log extensively, whichever processes practicable, lie at the hands of users, especially for problem-solving?

You need not post a reply, as this is just a rhetorical statement / thinking aloud.
Books that help: