Issue with dpkg after upgrade to Testing (SOLVED)

Kernels & Hardware, configuring network, installing services

Re: Issue with dpkg after upgrade to Testing

Postby Mr. Lumbergh » 2019-10-15 18:47

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Mr. Lumbergh wrote:Is the method outlined in the link problematic?

A development branch can break occasionally, is that really what you want from an operating system? Debian stable doesn't tend to break at all and newer software versions can be added fairly easily (and safely) with a variety of well-documented methods.

And testing is the worst branch of all for security support, check the status for the recently-announced sudo vulnerability: https://security-tracker.debian.org/tra ... 2019-14287

Debian bullseye will be the last version to be marked "fixed" and it may take a while...

I've been using Debian for about a month and half or so now, but my understanding was that Testing was still pretty solid and was available as a way to suss out and report any final bugs before the freeze in the next major revision but with the advantage of newer packages, sort of a happy medium between Stable and Unstable. I don't mind a bit of tweaking and fixing here and there, but the last time I tried a bleeding-edge setup with Arch, it was more trouble than it was worth. I love the concept of the AUR, but Arch was a bit of a PITA when it came to things breaking. The last issue I had before wiping it was an update that killed compatibility with my wireless card, then froze because it could no longer fetch packages and after wouldn't boot. Nah.
As for sudo, I don't really use it. I'm used to logging in as root to do what I need as that's how the other distro I have installed does things. I did install it here when I was in the process of getting it up and running but wound up removing my user account from sudoers. Would that bug still be a worry? If so I'll run an apt-purge on it.
Mr. Lumbergh

Re: Issue with dpkg after upgrade to Testing (SOLVED)

Postby sunrat » 2019-10-15 21:02

With Firefox, it's always been possible to just download the tarball, extract it to a directory in your home folder, and run it manually from there.
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/a ... op-release
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!
sunrat

Postby stevepusser » 2019-10-16 00:31

After quite a bit of effort uploading many packages to the OBS, I may have 69.0.2 from Sid getting backported from source when all this shakes out: https://build.opensuse.org/project/show ... -backports

I'll find out what happened to it tomorrow.

You can also install the MX Firefox debs on any version of Debian, since they just rebundle the Mozilla binaries into a deb, along with a desktop file and other niceties. http://mxrepo.com/mx/repo/pool/main/f/firefox/

Getting the latest Firefox on Stable is asked and answered quite frequently, too--too bad there isn't a FAQ sticky here.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Chromium 78.0.3904.87, Hedgewars 1.0.0, PulseEffects 4.6.8, Telegram-desktop 1.8.15, Pale Moon 28.7.2, KeepassXC 2.5.0
stevepusser

Re: Issue with dpkg after upgrade to Testing

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2019-10-16 17:30

Mr. Lumbergh wrote:my understanding was that Testing was still pretty solid and was available as a way to suss out and report any final bugs before the freeze in the next major revision but with the advantage of newer packages, sort of a happy medium between Stable and Unstable.

No, not at all. That belongs here.

There is a mandatory transition delay for packages going from sid to testing so if something is broken in testing it could stay broken for a while whereas sid will get the fixes from upstream as soon as the maintainer notices them.

There is a FAQ covering this: https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debi ... .html#s3.1

tl;dr: use stable and backport newer software to that release if needed.

Mr. Lumbergh wrote:I don't mind a bit of tweaking and fixing here and there, but the last time I tried a bleeding-edge setup with Arch, it was more trouble than it was worth. I love the concept of the AUR, but Arch was a bit of a PITA when it came to things breaking.

I've used both Arch Linux and Debian sid and Arch is more consistently reliable in my experience, even with [testing] enabled. Arch is a rolling release but sid is a development branch, there is a difference.

Mr. Lumbergh wrote:As for sudo, I don't really use it. I'm used to logging in as root to do what I need as that's how the other distro I have installed does things. I did install it here when I was in the process of getting it up and running but wound up removing my user account from sudoers. Would that bug still be a worry? If so I'll run an apt-purge on it.

You're missing my point — the sudo vulnerability was just an example meant to illustrate a general principle: testing is not as secure as sid or stable.
Don't break DebianHow to report bugs

SharpBang GNU/Linux — a pre-configured Openbox/Tint2 desktop running on Debian stable
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby Mr. Lumbergh » 2019-10-17 00:45

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Mr. Lumbergh wrote:my understanding was that Testing was still pretty solid and was available as a way to suss out and report any final bugs before the freeze in the next major revision but with the advantage of newer packages, sort of a happy medium between Stable and Unstable.

No, not at all. That belongs here.

There is a mandatory transition delay for packages going from sid to testing so if something is broken in testing it could stay broken for a while whereas sid will get the fixes from upstream as soon as the maintainer notices them.

There is a FAQ covering this: https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debi ... .html#s3.1

tl;dr: use stable and backport newer software to that release if needed.

I've updated the apt/preferences file in the following way to allow fetching of newer packages from sid if it's more secure and installed debsecan.
Code: Select all
Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 500

Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 200

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Mr. Lumbergh wrote:I don't mind a bit of tweaking and fixing here and there, but the last time I tried a bleeding-edge setup with Arch, it was more trouble than it was worth. I love the concept of the AUR, but Arch was a bit of a PITA when it came to things breaking.

I've used both Arch Linux and Debian sid and Arch is more consistently reliable in my experience, even with [testing] enabled. Arch is a rolling release but sid is a development branch, there is a difference.

As I said, that wasn't at all my experience. Especially after that issue with the network card I decided it just wasn't worth it. The other distro I have installed is also rolling-release, and using it more or less since 2005 has only caused me two major issues.
Maybe I'm just not an Arch guy. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Mr. Lumbergh wrote:As for sudo, I don't really use it. I'm used to logging in as root to do what I need as that's how the other distro I have installed does things. I did install it here when I was in the process of getting it up and running but wound up removing my user account from sudoers. Would that bug still be a worry? If so I'll run an apt-purge on it.

You're missing my point — the sudo vulnerability was just an example meant to illustrate a general principle: testing is not as secure as sid or stable.

Ok, granted. But what about my question, does that mitigate the issue?
As far as I can tell, I can't revert back without a full reinstall, so for now I'll make the best of it.
Mr. Lumbergh

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2019-10-17 16:07

Mr. Lumbergh wrote:I've updated the apt/preferences file in the following way to allow fetching of newer packages from sid if it's more secure and installed debsecan.

That file won't do what you expect. Probably best to move to sid as the default version: https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debi ... al_literal

But sid isn't as secure as stable because it relies on the package maintainer noticing the new versions upstream. Did you not backup before wrecking your system?
Don't break DebianHow to report bugs

SharpBang GNU/Linux — a pre-configured Openbox/Tint2 desktop running on Debian stable
Head_on_a_Stick

Previous

Return to System configuration