Lost wifi connection on broadcom adapter (4.19.0-6-amd64)

Kernels & Hardware, configuring network, installing services

Lost wifi connection on broadcom adapter (4.19.0-6-amd64)

Postby pierres » 2019-10-22 13:50

Hi,

I'm a complete linux beginner. I've installed Debian buster less than a month ago on a macbookpro 7,1. Got rid of OSX since Apple denies me the right to keep it up-to-date.

Managed to get everything working except for the wake up from suspend when opening the lid but that's ok. Wifi has been working perfectly up to this afternoon running b43 drivers. Adapter is a Broadcom Limited BCM4322 [14e4:432b] (rev 01) according to the lspci command. Adapter is on but scan brings no networks back. Networks appear if I use the modprobe b43 command but I can't connect to anything.

I've tried reinstalling b43 drivers, switching to wl drivers and none of that has worked.

Many thanks if someone is able to help me there.
pierres

Re: Lost wifi connection on broadcom adapter (4.19.0-6-amd64

Postby Deb-fan » 2019-10-22 18:49

Install the headers package for the kernel you have in use then check to see if you've got the dkms package installed, (if not install it from the repo's) afterwards also install the broadcom-sta-dkms package. That should take care of it. Yep, ya gotta love Broadcom ! :D
Deb-fan

Postby pierres » 2019-10-23 08:14

Thanks for your reply but still no luck...

I purged every wifi driver, checked that my headers were matching my kernel and that dkms was there, installed the Broadcom driver (wl).
Wifi is on but doesn't see any network.

As I don't have much to back up I'm about to reinstall everything but I'm afraid I'll run into the exact same problem again. Maybe I did something that broke the wifi but I can't remember anything that had directly to do with that.

:?
pierres

Postby Deb-fan » 2019-10-24 00:26

Are you using a network manager ? Which ? Also just for giggles, make sure you didn't disable the wireless via the comps shortcut keys ? Have done it myself ... More random thoughts, believe the wl.ko kernel module is the right driver for your Broadcom card but you might want to confirm that. Also check that it's loading "lsmod" and that no conflicting ones are.

Dkms should create a file at /etc/modprobe.d/ named broadcom-sta-dkms.conf with them blacklisted automatically. This is what I've got in the file.

# wl module from Broadcom conflicts with the following modules:
blacklist b43
blacklist b43legacy
blacklist b44
blacklist bcma
blacklist brcm80211
blacklist brcmsmac
blacklist ssb

Only some thoughts, good luck.
Deb-fan

Return to System configuration