Need help with configuring a live system

Kernels & Hardware, configuring network, installing services

Need help with configuring a live system

Postby fever_wits » 2019-10-24 19:17

Hello,
i am trying to create a router based on debian jessie.
After some searching, I found this:
https://willhaley.com/blog/custom-debia ... vironment/

I will use an ssd drive from which to boot my router.

I use the following parameter in grub to prevent the system from reading from disk: toram = filesystem.squashfs after booting.
But I noticed that rootfs is always 50% of the total system memory.

Is it possible to change this, not a percentage, but a fixed value?

I tried to figure out where it was coming from, but I didn't have much success.

I have another problem that I have yet to find a solution to.
In addition to the partition where filesystem.squashfs is located, I will have a second partition, which will contain the main conf files such as hostname, interface and so on.
In the filesystem.squashfs hostname, interface files will be a symlink to the files in the second partition, this is for the purpose of rebooting the system from creating them again.
Subsequently, I realized (the hard way) that if something went wrong with the ssd drive, I would lose the configuration files. And I remembered that while loading the OS from filesystem.squashfs
create a ram drive in which they are copied. This will make the system independent of the ssd.
Can anyone direct me what and where to look to do this?

Thanks in advance.
fever_wits

Re: Need help with configuring a live system

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2019-10-26 17:52

fever_wits wrote:I use the following parameter in grub to prevent the system from reading from disk: toram = filesystem.squashfs after booting.
But I noticed that rootfs is always 50% of the total system memory.

Is it possible to change this, not a percentage, but a fixed value?

Append this boot parameter:
Code: Select all
overlay-size=2G

^ That example sets the size to 2GiB, see live-boot(7) for more.

fever_wits wrote:In addition to the partition where filesystem.squashfs is located, I will have a second partition, which will contain the main conf files such as hostname, interface and so on.
In the filesystem.squashfs hostname, interface files will be a symlink to the files in the second partition, this is for the purpose of rebooting the system from creating them again.

I would add the configuration files to a .deb package and install that once the system is running.
Don't break DebianHow to report bugs

SharpBang GNU/Linux — a pre-configured Openbox/Tint2 desktop running on Debian stable
Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Need help with configuring a live system

Postby fever_wits » 2019-10-27 09:34

Hello Head_on_a_Stick
Тhis parameter "overlay-size=2G" only works if you use debian 10. On debian 8 and 9, it does not work, my system is made on debian 8. For this, I also searched in which script the parameter was configured.
I'll try to make my system based on debian 10. And make a new kernel.
I'm trying to get my current kernel that I did on debian 8 to use it with an already updated system and that was not OK.

"I would add the configuration files to a .deb package and install that once the system is running."
This would be good if you don't have to change the configuration files.
However, if necessary, you will need a new .deb package every time.
I invented something and am currently testing it if it works I will share.
fever_wits

Return to System configuration