Powerfull and dangerous unmount?¿

Kernels & Hardware, configuring network, installing services

Powerfull and dangerous unmount?¿

Postby bester69 » 2019-11-09 22:21

Hi,
Ive just found out into these wonderfull unmount commands, but i guess they might be some risky and danger in their use.

A lot of times I had to restart session or reboot to unmount some devices, and now with these two commands, I see I dont need it anymore.. So, What do you think, do you see any risk in one of them? :o

I more or less undertand "fuser -km" (it just kill anything connected to device), but i dont know very well what "umount -l" do. in any case, I understand I should not to work against any file in that device after applied, unless It's remounted back.
bester69 wrote:You wont change my mind when I know Im right, Im not an ...
bester69

Re: Powerfull and dangerous unmount?¿

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2019-11-10 08:57

bester69 wrote:do you see any risk in one of them?

The risk is clearly stated in the linked article, did you not even bother reading it before posting? :?
Don't break DebianHow to report bugs

SharpBang GNU/Linux® — a pre-configured Openbox/Tint2 desktop running on Debian stable
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby bester69 » 2019-11-10 17:23

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
bester69 wrote:do you see any risk in one of them?

The risk is clearly stated in the linked article, did you not even bother reading it before posting? :?

Thanks,
I would just like your opinion and a clever explanation I can understand, that technical explanation doesnt help me very much.... Anyways, I wanted to know if you use them and when not to use to lost data,..I guess I will have to take my own risks, not much help today. :?
bester69 wrote:You wont change my mind when I know Im right, Im not an ...
bester69

Postby p.H » 2019-11-10 18:31

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:The risk is clearly stated in the linked article

Not really. "Data loss" is a bit short. It does not explain why or how data loss may occur.
Is it pending data a process did not have a chance to write yet before being killed ? Expected.
Is it data written to the filesystem cache but not committed to the underlying storage yet ? That would be annoying.
Is it filesystem corruption ? Even more annoying.
Could it happen when you remove the underlying storage device after a loose umount ? Expected.

Also, am I the only one feeling that the vi on /dev/sda1 part is pure nonsense ?
p.H

Return to System configuration