Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

NFS and Seafile

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Loci.Cantos

NFS and Seafile

#1 Post by Loci.Cantos »

Howdy.

I'm thinking I am going to set up an NFS server on an old box I have and let it run 24/7. Also, I've recently read about Seafile and I'm considering using seafile on the same server for some of my more regularly active file modifications. Using seafile to synchronize a narrow group of my often-used data files across systems is a very appealing proposition. This way I can keep my most important files synched (avoiding the use of email, nfs, and even flash drive sneaker-net), and I can use nfs for the less dynamic, one-off stuff. Seafiles seems like it is worth having as, it's kind of like having one's own google docs, without google reading everything and selling it as demographics. :wink:

NFS is pretty straight forward; still, I'm always open to hearing how people may be applying it in Debian (there are many good ideas in these forums). Also, does anyone have experience with seafile?

Thanks in advance.

lc

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: NFS and Seafile

#2 Post by sunrat »

I never heard of it but checked it out and it looks quite interesting. Also it's available in Debian's own repositories which is good.
I currently use Syncthing for similar purpose and am happy with it.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

zenlord

Re: NFS and Seafile

#3 Post by zenlord »

I'm using NFS 4.1 with Kerberos in a small office I'm maintaining, both for a shared drive and the $HOME folders.
The office is migrating away from Intel NUC machines to laptops, and I did struggle to go from the relatively easy NFSv3 (behind a firewall) to NFSv4 out in the open, but I believe I have now grasped how to make it work. I'm just now upgrading from Stretch to Buster, and NFS didn't budge a millimeter.

I have no experience with Seafile, but I do have a few instances of Nexctloud running (on Debian+Apache+Postgresql). Happy with that.