Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

ASUS T100TA display offset and colors wrong

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Manoli

ASUS T100TA display offset and colors wrong

#1 Post by Manoli »

Hello guys, I have problem after clean installation of latest version of Debian 10.2 on ASUS T100TA, that sometimes, not always, after reboot my display output in system console(s) and in X Windows graphics have offset to the right and than screen overlaps to the left, also also colors are shifted somewhere looking wrong.

The problem happens 99% after reboot, when starting new after poweroff it is usually ok!?

It is probably related to the article https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Asus/T100TA (Section: "Display offset and with wrong colors") that have also kind of workaround using xrandr --output <OUTPUT> --off && xrandr --output <OUTPUT> --auto but that's not really comfortable, also I guess this applies for X only not simply for the console.

I suppose this should be possible to solve somehow if one have enough experience with Debian (Fedora works OK by default with nothing like this, but has other problems) especially when it doesn't happen always and sometimes you get display output correct.

Does anyone maybe have an idea what could cause this problem after reboot, if it's possible to apply maybe some corrections to the display driver, or so.

I'm not sure where my display driver comes from now, I didn't install anything specially have pretty much everything on default, my VGA says it's simply an 'intel' if I dig a little deeper I can find it should be some Intel Bay Trail, the driver in use shows i915, probably default from kernel.

Thanks a lot in advance for any advice or suggestion, have good day everyone.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: ASUS T100TA display offset and colors wrong

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Have you installed the non-free firmware required by the card (and CPU)?
deadbang

Manoli

#3 Post by Manoli »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Have you installed the non-free firmware required by the card (and CPU)?
Hello, but how would I find out to be sure?

I had an USB with firmware present while doing an installation, mainly because of installer was complaining about driver for my WiFi missing (brcmfmac43241b4-sdio, that's probably ok now).

But I can’t recall installing any other special firmware. Do I need to install some particular driver for my display card to be working properly?

My lshw says:

CPU version: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU Z3740 @ 1.33GHz
display description: VGA compatible controller
display product: Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series Graphics & Display
display vendor: Intel Corporation
display configuration: driver=i915 latency=0

I don’t think the installer was complaining about missing firmware for CPU or VGA but don't know if it could have pulled driver from firmware USB silently as it was present at the time of installation.

Manoli

#4 Post by Manoli »

As I was searching through dmesg, trying to find the clues for vga or i915 driver found some errors from i915 there:

[ 5.657849] i915 0000:00:02.0: vgaarb: changed VGA decodes: olddecodes=io+mem,decodes=io+mem:owns=io+mem
[ 5.658291] [drm:vlv_dsi_init [i915]] *ERROR* Failed to own gpio for panel control
[ 5.658373] [drm:pwm_setup_backlight [i915]] *ERROR* Failed to own the pwm chip
[ 5.815234] [drm] Initialized i915 1.6.0 20180719 for 0000:00:02.0 on minor 0
[ 6.857071] i915 0000:00:02.0: fb0: inteldrmfb frame buffer device

Could this be problem?

I just see those errors there, but at the same time, right now my display output work correctly, at least I don't see any offset or color shifts. So I'm little lost, quite hard to isolate the issue when it does appear just sometimes. :(

And I would really like to find out why

Code: Select all

xrandr --output DSI-1 --off && xrandr --output DSI-1 --auto
always corrects the issue??? :?:

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Manoli wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Have you installed the non-free firmware required by the card (and CPU)?
Hello, but how would I find out to be sure?
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=142974
deadbang

Manoli

#6 Post by Manoli »

So I did that, I have installed linux-firmware-nonfree following the link you’ve posted, but unfortunately no change. The screen offset is still sometimes ok, sometimes not.

Just to make it clear. From the beginning of boot up process the display output is ALWAYS OK, but it gets wrong once the console output changes, probably when i915 driver kicks in, (sometimes).