Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

SOLVED: tftpd server can be accessed by some devices

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
cainram

SOLVED: tftpd server can be accessed by some devices

#1 Post by cainram »

SOLVED: uh..... Turns out it was a case sensitivity thing. Everything is working. Thanks to everyone that took a look

I have a FusionPBX server running Debian. I have configured /etc/xinetd.d/tfpt as follows:

service tftp
{
protocol = udp
port = 69
socket_type = dgram
wait = yes
user = nobody
server = /usr/sbin/in.tftpd
server_args = -s /tftpdata
disable = no
}

I had to comment out a line in inetd.conf (I think) to get it working.
I had to add a line to my firewall to allow traffic to port 69.
The server is on a static public IP.
I CAN use the terminal tftp client on an ubuntu machine on my local network to download files from the Debian tftp server.
I cannot download files using tftp client (command line) on my Windows machine.
I CAN download files using TFTPd64 gui on another Windows machine
I cannot get my Cisco phone to provision via tfpt. Same phone has no issues with other tftp servers. <--This is my major concern.

What may I be missing? I'm all ears, thanks in advance
Last edited by cainram on 2020-01-21 16:25, edited 1 time in total.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: tftpd server can be accessed by some devices, not others

#2 Post by p.H »

TFTP is a bit like FTP, it uses other ports than 69 for file transfer. Netfilter connection tracking has a specific helper to identify data packets in the RELATED state.

cainram

#3 Post by cainram »

Thanks for the reply. I guess the question really is... Why some OSs or clients can consistently download from the server and others never can...

cainram

#4 Post by cainram »

Update: Ok, turns out the Windows devices I was having issues with were related to the internal Windows firewall. I can now download files from my Debian based tftp server from everything I have thrown at it EXCEPT this CISCO phone. Looks like I'm heading to the CISCO forums unless anyone has more to offer. Thanks to everyone that took a look.