iptables and printer.

Kernels & Hardware, configuring network, installing services

iptables and printer.

Postby hack3rcon » 2020-02-04 16:30

Hello,
I'm using Debian 10.1 with the MATE desktop. My iptables rules blocking all incoming connection. I want to add a printer by its IP address:
1- Can my iptables rules cause any problem? Any incoming connection needed?
2- Which tool I must install to add the printer? Is the CUPS needed for just add a printer?

Thank you.
hack3rcon

Re: iptables and printer.

Postby arzgi » 2020-02-04 16:38

First hit on duckduckgo using words "cups firewall"

https://www.cups.org/doc/firewalls.html
arzgi

Re: iptables and printer.

Postby shep » 2020-02-04 18:03

Printers advertise their presence on the network and can communicate their status; eg ink levels, paper and ready to print. If you know the printers IP address, you can bypass avahi discovery.
There are also several ports that can be utilized for network printing. You can select the port while using the web interface to configure.

Cups is the default spooler in Debian. Depending on the make/model of your printer, you may need to install print filters and ppd's. Sometimes there can be several filters that will work. OpenPrinting Database is a good place to look along with your printers spec sheets. The debian printing wiki gives the steps needed to utilize the cups web interface: localhost:631
Selecting AppSocket/HP JetDirect utilizes port 9100 and is supported by Brother, Samsung, Lexmark, others in addition to HP.
https://wiki.debian.org/SystemPrinting#Adding_a_Printer.

There are two other print spoolers available in Debian: lpr and lprng
The alternatives have a smaller footprint but not longer provide a print dialog for gtk3, Qt5, based applications.
shep

Return to System configuration