Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

The command CHROOT leads to Segmentation fault. A FIX.

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Head_on_a_Stick

Re: The command CHROOT leads to Segmentation fault. A FIX.

#1 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

john123son wrote:It seems that someone turned off a kernel option, vsyscall=emulate, that chroot relies on.
What on Earth are you blabbering on about? :?

Code: Select all

empty@E485 ~ % sudo chroot arch
root@E485 / #
Works for me™ without that vsyscall kernel option.

Also:
john123son wrote:To fix this, add vsyscall=emulate to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT variable.
That calls the non-legacy vsyscall option, which is enabled in the stock buster kernel (CONFIG_X86_VSYSCALL_EMULATION). It has *nothing* to do with CONFIG_LEGACY_VSYSCALL_EMULATE — if that option isn't enabled in the kernel then you can't make it work with a kernel parameter.

EDIT: that option appears to be the default: https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/ ... .txt#L5449
deadbang

Head_on_a_Stick

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

john123son wrote:This can be hard to debug or figure out if you don't know what you are looking for.
Yeah, you're certainly having problems with it :mrgreen:
john123son wrote:I have recompiled the kernel with CONFIG_X86_VSYSCALL_EMULATION=y but kept CONFIG_LEGACY_VSYSCALL_NONE=y
Those options are already applied in the stock Debian buster kernel version...
john123son wrote:I'd say that turning X86_VSYSCALL_EMULATION back on and keeping the default as LEGACY_VSYSCALL_NONE=y should not hurt security wise
From my buster box:

Code: Select all

empty@E485 ~ % grep 'X86_VSYSCALL\|LEGACY_VSYSCALL' /boot/config-4.19.0-8-amd64
CONFIG_X86_VSYSCALL_EMULATION=y
# CONFIG_LEGACY_VSYSCALL_EMULATE is not set
CONFIG_LEGACY_VSYSCALL_NONE=y
empty@E485 ~ %
And vsyscall=emulate is the default setting, as I've already explained: https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.19/a ... eters.html
deadbang

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

You're just trying to find excuses to post yet more links to that stupid ****** thread, please stop. As a spam-hunter I should probably just move this entire thread and any others in which you're posted that link...
deadbang

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#4 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

john123son wrote:what percentage of Debian users do you think know that they need to add vsyscall=emulate to the kernel command line to get chroot to work?
Actually, the question is:
What percentage of Debian users do you think know that they need to add vsyscall=emulate to the kernel command line to get chroot to work with an ancient version of Debian, where the executables are incompatible with the current version of kernel?

I'm using chroot on a daily basis and it works correctly.
For a while I was running Debian7 32bit on Debian9 64bit in a schroot, because I had no time to move some apps to a new OS version - worked flawlessly.

So, it's just Your special, unique case - and IMO You should change the title of this topic, because chroot command doesn't need any fixes in the kernel.
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed