Problem in booting: LSB:DHCP server

Kernels & Hardware, configuring network, installing services

Problem in booting: LSB:DHCP server

Postby MatteP » 2020-05-05 23:05

Hi everyone,

In trying to update my Debian 8, I must have made something incredibly wrong :(
I changed the sources.list replacing the repository I had for jessie with the ones for buster (following this https://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList).

Then I ran
Code: Select all
apt-get autoclean
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

Finally I had to reboot the system and here the problem shows up. The system does not boot anymore. After some lines scrolling I end up with a blank screen and then after about 15 seconds this error message pops up:
[FAILED] Failed to start LSB: DHCP server. See 'systemctl status isc-dhcp-server.service' for details.

What does a dhcp have to do with the fact that I can start my OS?

However, after that I accessed the recovery mode (via root) I typed
'systemctl status isc-dhcp-server.service
and received back:
isc-dhcp-server.service - LSB: DHCP server
Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/isc-dhcp-server)
Active: inactive (dead)

Do you have any idea how to go back to a working OS, please? Even managing to going back to the previous settings (before my attempts of upgrading the system) would be just great!

Thanks in advance :)
MatteP

Re: Problem in booting: LSB:DHCP server

Postby kedaha » 2020-05-05 23:20

MatteP wrote:In trying to update my Debian 8, I must have made something incredibly wrong :(
I changed the sources.list replacing the repository I had for jessie with the ones for buster (following this https://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList)

Hi,
Debian 8, jessie, cannot be upgraded directly to Debian 10 without first upgrading to Debian 9, stretch. See Upgrades from Debian 8 (jessie)
So that is what has gone incredibly wrong.
"Please accept my resignation. I don’t care to belong to any club that will have me as a member".—Groucho Marx
kedaha

Return to System configuration