Grub loads slowly on encrypted installation

Kernels & Hardware, configuring network, installing services

Grub loads slowly on encrypted installation

Postby Gorg » 2020-05-10 21:20

Hi everyone,

I've tried to install Debian 10 now several times, guided and manually. Unfortunately, whenever I set up an encrypted installation (unencrypted /boot-partition), Debian takes extremely long until it displays the Grub bootscreen. Everything afterwards works fine.

If I install Debian unencrypted, it loads immediately, but I'm on a laptop, so I don't want to do this.

Now, I've noticed that specifically on the encrypted installations, I only see a textmode-looking Grub interface with a solid blue background. However, on an unencrypted installation, I see the Debian logo displayed, that's a visual difference. Going from that, I have assumed that it might try to load things for a while, fails, and falls back to that plain mode.

Can somebody think of a way to work around this? Is there maybe a way to "get rid" of the extra content? I'll probably set the timeout to 0 anyway, once it works.
Gorg

Re: Grub loads slowly on encrypted installation

Postby Gorg » 2020-05-11 12:51

Well, apparently it was already enough to pull the pre-defined backgrounds from /boot/grub/grub.cfg and copy them from /usr/share/something to /boot/grub/. After doing a grub-update, it loaded immediately. I also tried purging and re-installing grub beforehand, but that retained the Debian-branding.

So, should anybody have similar issues, just try copying the backgrounds to the unencrypted /boot partition.
Gorg

Return to System configuration