Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Scanner's HP Laser MFP 137fnw

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
LE_746F6D617A7A69

Re: Scanner's HP Laser MFP 137fnw

#21 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

brian_p wrote:Another success for sane-airscan!
That's really fantastic - but still, I would like to see the results for the ULD HP drivers -> because they seem to work with the latest version of Debian system -> ofc, that would require to find a person or a compny who have actually tested this ... (and I don't have the HW to test... )

Regards.
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

dim459

Re: Scanner's HP Laser MFP 137fnw

#22 Post by dim459 »

Well, I had the same issues with this device in Kubuntu 18.04, it was detected and added as a network printer (via wifi), but it wasn't always printing properly (often printed not requested pages with hieroglyphics, wrong driver I guess) and of course the scanner wasn't recognized at all.
The solution was as follows (I guess there won't be any or significant differences in debian), if of course the device is already connected to your network via wifi (preferably with a static ip).
Step 1
Download the driver from HP :
https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/se ... =true&sku=
Step 2
Unzip the driver, after that a folder named uld is created.
Open a terminal in that location, or cd to the uld folder and install the driver (well the following sudo command has to do with ubuntu, I guess you can run a root terminal in debian)

Code: Select all

sudo ./install.sh
Step 3
After finishing with driver installation, open a browser and go to :
http://localhost:631/
From the web interface either add the printer, or modify it (if already added). The whole purpose is to provide manually the correct ppd file. Follow the steps required (at some point requires username and password) and manually provide the ppd file. The location in Kubuntu was /usr/share/ppd/uld-hp/HP_Laser_MFP_13x_Series.ppd and the last section of course is the ppd file.
Step 4
Copy the libsane-smfp.so file to the correct location (as far as sudo is concerned, same as above), I hope the directories are the same, or find the right ones in your debian installation.

Code: Select all

sudo cp /usr/lib64/sane/libsane-smfp* /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane/
Step 5
Download and install the sane-airscan deb file, choosing your distro, from the following location (I had to download the deb, adding the repository didn't work, since it wasn't retrieving the right key) :
https://software.opensuse.org//download ... ne-airscan
Step 6
Reboot your pc.

After these steps printer and scanner are working perfectly in my Kubuntu 18.04 installation.
I hope this helps, and please feel free to modify-complete-comment the above, especially if there are differences in the relative debian directories, or same packages are pre-required (for instance in my description I take for granted that the sane related packages are already installed, since they are pre-installed in Kubuntu).
By the way this device is not expected to be supported by hplip. It's actually a Samsung device released under the HP brand and it uses the SPL (Samsung Printing Language).