Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] macOS VM on KVM

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
simon_lefisch

[SOLVED] macOS VM on KVM

#1 Post by simon_lefisch »

Hey everyone,

I got a question about Debian and KVM....

Currently I am running CentOS 7 on my box and hosting a bunch of VMs on KVM (fileserver / plex server / pfSense / etc). Love CentOS, however it is using QEMU v1.5.3 (if I remember correctly). CentOS 8 runs v2.x.x which allows for UEFI VMs. While I love running CentOS, a lot of the packages are older due to stability....which is why I love CentOS, but I miss a lot of newer features. So I was thinking of migrating to Debian 10 Stable as my KVM host. Now here's my question to anyone running Debian 10 with KVM.....has anyone been able to get macOS to run as a VM and if so, how stable/reliable has it been? I have seen some tutorials on getting a macOS VM running (hackintosh?), so setup should be relatively easy.

The reason I ask is because I would like setup a macOS VM to run mainly as a Time Machine server and host my iCloud library that I keep locally. Any input/insight would be greatly appreciated before I make the transition since I will have to install and set everything up from scratch.
Last edited by simon_lefisch on 2020-05-31 15:58, edited 1 time in total.

sarge

Re: macOS VM on KVM

#2 Post by sarge »

I've used this before with some success. It's not amazing—a little buggy—but mostly usable.

https://github.com/foxlet/macOS-Simple-KVM

simon_lefisch

macOS VM on KVM

#3 Post by simon_lefisch »

sarge wrote:I've used this before with some success. It's not amazing—a little buggy—but mostly usable.

https://github.com/foxlet/macOS-Simple-KVM
Thanks for the reply. I did see that tutorial and was prob going to use it when I eventually switch to Debian 10 stable. How buggy was it for you? Did it crash? Again the reason for me looking into having a macOS VM is to host a Time Machine server on my LAN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sarge

Re: macOS VM on KVM

#4 Post by sarge »

simon_lefisch wrote:How buggy was it for you? Did it crash? Again the reason for me looking into having a macOS VM is to host a Time Machine server on my LAN.
The Finder would crash sometimes, and I had issues with the top bar not appearing. Restarting the guest would normally fix this. More RAM could have helped—I only had 4GiB available that I could assign to the VM.

From my experience I wouldn’t consider it stable enough to rely on for backups. Your experience may differ, however.

simon_lefisch

macOS VM on KVM

#5 Post by simon_lefisch »

sarge wrote:
simon_lefisch wrote:How buggy was it for you? Did it crash? Again the reason for me looking into having a macOS VM is to host a Time Machine server on my LAN.
The Finder would crash sometimes, and I had issues with the top bar not appearing. Restarting the guest would normally fix this. More RAM could have helped—I only had 4GiB available that I could assign to the VM.

From my experience I wouldn’t consider it stable enough to rely on for backups. Your experience may differ, however.
Thanks for the reply. I was able to find a different solution for Time Machine backups by using a FreeNAS VM and passing thru the PCI bus that the HDDs are attached to. Did some testing and it’s exactly what I’m looking for. Thanks for your help tho, much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk