Buster's youtube-dl broken; update with Bullseye's.

Kernels & Hardware, configuring network, installing services

Re: Buster's youtube-dl broken; update with Bullseye's.

Postby Moltke » 2020-06-17 13:17

sickpig wrote:Appimages
:) wait what why?
I never mentioned them.
packaging nix is way too easy than deb or rmp or other traditional formats for that matter.

I know you didn't. I'm just speaking my mind :wink:. I like appimages and actually use a few ones. Never tried nix packaging, have read about it though but never really tried, maybe I do in some of my VMs just to see how it works.
Moltke

Postby rippa_the_hutt » 2020-07-10 12:21

sunrat wrote:Debian's youtube-dl breaks every time Youtube changes their API which is fairly regularly. I've found the best way to get around this is to download it from the Github page, put the script in ~/bin, and every time it breaks run:
Code: Select all
youtube-dl -U
to update it.
The devs there are usually quite diligent at keeping it current and often are ahead of even the Sid version by days. The current version now is youtube-dl-2020.06.06.tar.gz from https://youtube-dl.org/

I feel this is the best solution, too, have been adopting it for a while without too much hassle.
Only modification, I usually put it in ~/.bin, adding such folder to $PATH to avoid tampering in system directories
rippa_the_hutt

Postby stevepusser » 2020-07-11 02:19

I haven't backported any packages yet that actually required any new features with 13; 12 has worked just fine.

Just ran into the nvidia-settings package backports that really require it. Since it passes the --as-needed flag to the linker automatically, upstream removed some patches and tweaks that let it work with debhelper 12. :( Debhelper-13.2 is a trivial backport to Buster, but needs a backport of perl for Stretch--not trivial at all.
MX Linux packager and developer
stevepusser

Previous

Return to System configuration