Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Help with sources.list

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
stevepusser

Re: Help with sources.list

#16 Post by stevepusser »

XFCE 4.14 backported to Buster, and even Stretch:

https://build.opensuse.org/project/show ... :xfce-4.14
MX Linux packager and developer

efdevse

#17 Post by efdevse »

stevepusser wrote:XFCE 4.14 backported to Buster, and even Stretch:

https://build.opensuse.org/project/show ... :xfce-4.14
Aah… That is fantastic news. Thank you!

So, do you have any documentation for that… What do I need for source? and do I need to setup a prio?

Code: Select all

# /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xfce_stevepusser.list
#
# Xfce 4.14
#

# ?
deb https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/stevenpusser:/xfce-4.14/  Debian_10/amd64
Like that?

The excluded(1) and disabled(7) packages… The disabled plugins I guess I can do without, if I can use the ones from stable instead. But, I'm not sure I want to go without the excluded xfdesktop4. Is it fixable? …or can I take that one off from testing?

kedaha

#18 Post by kedaha »

The instructions for adding stevepusser's repository are here. Note that it says, "Buster users need to replace "_9.0" with "_10"."
DebianStable

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

efdevse

#19 Post by efdevse »

kedaha wrote:The instructions for adding stevepusser's repository are here. Note that it says, "Buster users need to replace "_9.0" with "_10"."
But, that's not the repo, or did I miss something?
Xfce isn't here: download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/stevepassert/Debian_10/
…or here: download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/stevenpusser/Debian_10/

This was the link: build.opensuse.org/project/show/home:stevenpusser:xfce-4.14

And then that missing/excluded core component (xfdesktop4)…
If that can be fixed? I'll use this, but if not – then I guess bulleye is the option to go with.

kedaha

#20 Post by kedaha »

efdevse wrote:
kedaha wrote:The instructions for adding stevepusser's repository are here. Note that it says, "Buster users need to replace "_9.0" with "_10"."
But, that's not the repo, or did I miss something?
Xfce isn't here: download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/stevepassert/Debian_10/
…or here: download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/stevenpusser/Debian_10/

This was the link: build.opensuse.org/project/show/home:stevenpusser:xfce-4.14

And then that missing/excluded core component (xfdesktop4)…
Yes, you're right.
As for xfdesktop4 version 4.14.2-1, if it isn't there, it looks like a backporting it might run into unmet dependencies, like

builddeps:xfdesktop4 : Depends: libxfce4ui-2-dev (>= 4.13.0) but 4.12.1-3 is to be installed
                        Depends: libxfce4util-dev (>= 4.13.0) but 4.12.1-3 is to be installed
efdevse wrote:If that can be fixed? I'll use this, but if not – then I guess bulleye is the option to go with.

stevepusser no doubt can answer that.
DebianStable

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

stevepusser

#21 Post by stevepusser »

Yeah, both the the stevenpusser and stevepassert sets of repos are mine--they are based on different gmail accounts I have. The problem with the build-depends of the xfdesktop4 package simply means that the newer build-depends must be built and installed first before you tackle the xfdesktop4 package. Basically, like "the house that Jack built".

This is quite a pain in the rear if you tackle manually building and installing on a Debian install, much much simpler if you do it using pbuilder ( you just put the finished packages in a folder that pbuilder uses as an additonal package source, and build your way up to the finished products), and the OBS figures it out automatically for you, so it doesn't matter in what order you upload the source packages. If you update one package in a repo that the others use for a build-depend, the OBS automatically rebuilds the dependent packages (which is why the packages for testing and Sid in my other repos, such as for Pale Moon, end up getting rebuilt at least daily, often more frequently, since the base is changing frequently.)

anyway, the instructions to add the Buster XFCE 4.14 repo and its key are in another thread somewhere here, but now buried, so here they are again.
These direction now assume you have enabled sudo when you installed Debian, if not, you can try running them as root.

echo 'deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/stevenpusser:/xfce-4.14/Debian_10/ /' | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/home:stevenpusser:xfce-4.14.list
get and install the repo key:

sudo wget -nv https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:stevenpusser:xfce-4.14/Debian_10/Release.key -O "/etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/home:stevenpusser:xfce-4.14.asc"
update apt and install the xfce4 metapackage to pull them in. If you already have xfce4, then normal upgrades should result in the newer xfce.

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install xfce4
FWIW, backporting XFCE 4.14 to Buster is straightforward, but required some tweaking for a Stretch base.
MX Linux packager and developer

efdevse

#22 Post by efdevse »

stevepusser wrote:The problem with the build-depends of the xfdesktop4 package simply means that the newer build-depends must be built and installed first before you tackle the xfdesktop4 package. Basically, like "the house that Jack built".

This is quite a pain in the rear if you tackle manually building and installing on a Debian install, much much simpler if you do it using pbuilder ( you just put the finished packages in a folder that pbuilder uses as an additonal package source, and build your way up to the finished products), and the OBS figures it out automatically for you, so it doesn't matter in what order you upload the source packages. If you update one package in a repo that the others use for a build-depend, the OBS automatically rebuilds the dependent packages (which is why the packages for testing and Sid in my other repos, such as for Pale Moon, end up getting rebuilt at least daily, often more frequently, since the base is changing frequently.)
With pbuilder, and getting an OBS account/setup, etc… isn't that for formal official builds - like the other ones you've made?

If I'm just doing this for me now - wouldn't the wiki::SimpleBackportCreation be easier.

Without having tested it, it looks like you: add testing to the source list » source the package » build/install the dependencies » add the “bpo” » and then build/install the deb-file.

Perhaps pbuilder is easier, but the “SimpleBackportCreation” was clearer in its description/procedure. Thinking… If I make/add that one first, and then add the rest from you repo?

- - -

// btw: The disabled plugins(8)… Is that something you would/could add later. Or do they also come with build errors. There were no comments added for those. Just listed as disabled.

stevepusser wrote:anyway, the instructions to add the Buster XFCE 4.14 repo and its key are in another thread somewhere here, but now buried, so here they are again.
These direction now assume you have enabled sudo when you installed Debian, if not, you can try running them as root.
// --- //
Thank you! I've copied them to my notes here.

Yes, both sudo and root. :–) I usually skip root on install to get the sudo, and then set the root password.