Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

A Debian server like a Windows domain network.

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
hack3rcon

A Debian server like a Windows domain network.

#1 Post by hack3rcon »

Hello,
Consider a Windows network that provide services to a local network. A domain something like "windomain.win" that clients joined to it, a DHCP server that broadcast IP address to the clients, a DNS server, an internet gateway that share the internet connection between clients, an active directory that each client has its own account for logging to the system and a file server with some folders and special permissions for the clients.
If this network want to migrate to the Linux then which services are needed?

Thank you.

Bloom
df -h | grep > 90TiB
df -h | grep > 90TiB

Re: A Debian server like a Windows domain network.

#2 Post by Bloom »

zenlord

Re: A Debian server like a Windows domain network.

#3 Post by zenlord »

I am in the process of completing such an install. We have been using Debian on our server and +-10 clients for +10 years now, and this is the first time I took it upon my self to install a server from scratch.

These are the services you need:
* NTP (NTPsec)
* DNS (Bind9)
* DHCP (dhcpd)
* LDAP (openldap)
* Kerberos (MIT krb5)
* NFSv4 (either via ZFS-on-linux or via plain NFS)
* SMTP (Exim4 + spamassassin + SPF + DKIM + DMARC)
* IMAP (Dovecot + Sieve + Solr)
* IPP (cups)
* HTTP/S (Apache + PHP) -> Matrix Synapse + riot.im + Jitsi Meet
* SQL (Postgresql)
* SIP + PBX (asterisk)
* SSL certificates via Certbot/LetsEncrypt

/EDIT: almost forgot nftables (only opening those ports the above services require) + fail2ban (absolute requirement if you are thinking of opening up ports 5060/5061 for SIP...)

Clientside: Debian Buster, PAM, pam_mount for $HOME and $SHARE, Gnome, Evolution, Libreoffice, Firefox.

Vincent