static IP6 network under Systemd

Kernels & Hardware, configuring network, installing services

static IP6 network under Systemd

Postby charlie101 » 2020-09-24 00:00

I'm trying to set up a box to test drive a number of applications using LXC.
I haven't touched any Linux admin since before systemd, ipv6, and nft.
My box has two nics, one of which I'd like to put a bridge on, for the containers, the other will be a simple local ip4 address.

I was having problems getting this to work using the interfaces file and read that systemd uses it's own directory and files. Consequently I like to use the newer systemd method if I can but I can only find very patchy or superficial references to ip6 and bridging under systemd.networking.
I am no system administrator but I have dabbled and can follow a technical doc or a script.

My question is two part:

1) Is systemd network configuration fully functional in relation to multiple nics using static IP6 and bridging or should I stick with /etc/network/interfaces?

2) If systemd is the way to go can anyone recommend some detailed resources on the subject area. Free online would be great but I'm happy to buy books if they are good.

In short, I'm happy to RTFM but can't seem to find a decent FM that covers this area.
I'd much rather read two good books than 6 not so good ones.

Any suggestions on material or the approach to take would be gratefully received.

P.S I'm using Buster so material based on Debian would be great as I'm getting the impression that distributions tend to vary a bit on this.

Thanks in advance.
charlie101

Re: static IP6 network under Systemd

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-09-24 14:22

charlie101 wrote:Is systemd network configuration fully functional in relation to multiple nics using static IP6 and bridging

Yes.

charlie101 wrote:can anyone recommend some detailed resources on the subject area.

See https://wiki.debian.org/SystemdNetworkd ... ork_bridge & https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sy ... _with_DHCP (both use IPv4 & DHCP for the examples but I'm sure you can work it out).

charlie101 wrote:I'm happy to RTFM but can't seem to find a decent FM that covers this area

Start with systemd-networkd.service(8) and go through the associated pages mentioned in "see also" at the end; systemd.network(5) provides a full list of the options available in the configuration files.

charlie101 wrote:I'm using Buster so material based on Debian would be great as I'm getting the impression that distributions tend to vary a bit on this.

One of the advantages of systemd is the unification it brings to the fragmented GNU/Linux user space so most guides referencing it are compatible across different distributions.
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
Head_on_a_Stick

Re: static IP6 network under Systemd

Postby charlie101 » 2020-09-24 20:38

Hi Head_on_a_Stick

Thanks for your reply.
I did try the Debian docs and found the ip4 examples but couldn't get them to work as IP6 and so began to question whether there was a reason they were 'still' ip4 examples.
I didn't want to plough through trying to translate while looking up problems, if it wasn't going to work because the implementation wasn't complete.
Now you've confirmed it will work I can plough on knowing I'm not wasting my time.

Thanks very much.
charlie101

Return to System configuration