Very slow after Hibernation/Sleep, using linux-perf

Kernels & Hardware, configuring network, installing services

Re: Very slow after Hibernation/Sleep, using linux-perf

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-10-25 14:26

Deb-fan wrote:"killall firefox" works, so would "kill $(pidof firefox)" but both allow the process to exit cleanly

So... I was right and you were wrong? :P

Deb-fan wrote:not what this hair-brained exercise intended

Wait, what? You want Firefox to be stopped in an unclean manner? Why would you want to do that? :?

Deb-fan wrote:
Code: Select all
kill -9 $(pidof firefox)

What is it with you and unnecessary subshells? This would also "work":
pkill -9 firefox

But you really shouldn't — SIGKILL should *never* be used at all, just use SIGTERM instead if you want to stop the process (which is why it's the default signal for killall, kill & pkill).

See also http://porkmail.org/era/unix/award.html#uuk9letter, https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/281439/why-should-i-not-use-kill-9-sigkill & http://turnoff.us/geek/dont-sigkill/
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby Deb-fan » 2020-10-25 15:37

^ True that, don't see any harm in it really, am wondering about any poss long term adverse effects, as FF clearly isn't intended to get terminated this way, though SIGTERM lets firefox exit cleanly and was wanting to bring it backup offering session restore to save OP a few clicks. Will read the link Hoas, thanks ...

This systemd feature, system-sleep has clearly been around quite awhile. Had neve heard of it and wanted to post something to bring attention to it to others.

PS, errr, yeah sort of Hoas, I know killall will work with prog name, so it's only sort of, lol. :D Also upon further thought do have to +1 Hoas in this, the use of "kill -9" here, it's just better to go with a couple extra clicks to restore previous session than risk a borked up firefox profile and browser start acting buggy and weird. Not willing to test it out, so better safe than sorry. Mostly the junk about FF was just a dorkish mental exercise, OP expressed an interest in how it might be done system-sleep popped into head. Overall there's bound to be a much better solution to this than messing with FF. Try the other stuff and zero in on what's crapping up the resume process. Fix it right ...
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *
Deb-fan

Postby scibearspace » 2020-11-02 07:55

Hello all,

So i've been testing out the various suggestions. Closing out manually using either suspend or hibernate was a definite improvement over allowing the system to do so automatically, sufficiently that the slow down post 'wake' didn't bother me any more, it was still there for a while (30 seconds to a minute), but not for like the 5 minutes as before.

I then started manually closing firefox when I can prior to 'walking away' from the laptop. So I can confirm that it seems to be a firefox thing. However I've also tried setting certain tabs to close, and that seems to help also. Particularly closing stuff that has lots of ads on the page (so maybe a javascript thing ??) seems to be the main problem, I don't currently use an ad blocker ... so I don't know if that would make any difference.

I have also installed the various utilities that you have suggested. Obviously prior to this I did the typical

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

then grabbed journactl and perf ...

However it seems that the upgrade may have solved my issue, hence why I didn't respond as quickly as I should have as I was a bit surprised !

I'll keep an eye on how things are going, and see if I can drill down to the main issues using journalctl, perf etc, if they come up again.

for now a big thanks to you for your suggestions and time in helping out, and I'll get back to this thread if things are a nuisance again in the future.

David (the 'now hibernating' polar bear).
scibearspace

Postby Deb-fan » 2020-11-02 10:30

^LOL ... good deal. :)
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *
Deb-fan

Previous

Return to System configuration