I Need Help!

Kernels & Hardware, configuring network, installing services

I Need Help!

Postby BenPearson » 2020-11-05 17:37

As of 11-4-2020 I have been locked out of my machine, presumably by an update. I cannot enter either my root password nor my user password successfully, the computer will not accept them. I am afraid to power cycle my machine for fear that I will not be sbke to access it at all. Please Help Me.
BenPearson

Re: I Need Help!

Postby BenPearson » 2020-11-05 17:42

Additionally, it seems that sudo is no longer working on my machine, I do not get a sudo password request in the terminal, only a list of commands.
BenPearson

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-11-05 17:45

Either boot with init=/bin/bash as a kernel command line parameter (also change ro to rw) or boot a live system and chroot into your box.

For example from a Debian ISO image use
Code: Select all
# apt install arch-install-scripts
# mount /dev/sdXY /mnt
# arch-chroot /mnt

Replace X & Y with the drive letter and root partition number.

Once you have a root shell you can investigate further. I would check the keyboard configuration (/etc/default/keyboard) and perhaps reset the passwords (with passwd(1)).
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby BenPearson » 2020-11-05 17:49

I finally got into sudo, but I had to use the -i switch to log in, that is a first, has Debian changed policies in this regard?
BenPearson

Postby BenPearson » 2020-11-05 18:06

I think I got it figured out. It seems to be a problem with the sddm security update I got today, prior to the update being installed, no passwords would be accepted, but of course, to install the update, I needed to enter a password, so it was a catch 22. But I managed to sudo into synaptic via the shell and got the updates installed, I tried a password protected operation via the graphical user interface, and I was allowed to proceed as per usual. Then, I got a request to update the sddm. That's a first too. So I am hoping the problem is solved. However, I am going to avoid power cycling my machine until the weekend so that I will have time to fix any problems that crop up.
BenPearson

Postby BenPearson » 2020-11-05 18:31

Ok, I got brave enought to log in and out of both my root and user accounts without trouble, so I am going to close this one out. My thanks to those who offered assistance. If anybody has the ear of the devs on this, maybe let them know there was an issue.
BenPearson

Return to System configuration