Cannot save scaling_governor settings

Kernels & Hardware, configuring network, installing services

Re: Cannot save scaling_governor settings

Postby CwF » 2021-01-10 16:53

EIKA wrote:? I am still using cpupolicy.conf.

Yes, sorry for the fragmented instructions, this is what I meant above mentioning additional packages... I have nothing to look/test with to help me remember! Start over with my instruction, now with cpufrequtils installed - this may turn on those settings. Again, check dmesg/logs for a hint the settings are honored or failed - no message means the method is missing something.

look if /etc/default/cpufrequtil exist. Read it, maybe set there? Look for Enable=True. This may mention and enable /etc/sysfs.d

If the settings you'd like are possible in /etc/default maybe that's all. This could be wiped out on an update. Settings in sysfs.d would not be wiped on update and useful for per core rules. The enabler may be in /default though...
CwF

Postby EIKA » 2021-01-10 17:28

look if /etc/default/cpufrequtil exist.

It doesn't exist.

Installation of cpufrequtils didn't helped. CPU is still lowering core speed.

Here is full dmesg output: https://pastebin.com/fyv2dRMC
EIKA

Postby CwF » 2021-01-10 17:52

Well, I see nothing there, so it's ignored.

My last gasp from my old notes - maybe /etc/init.d/cpufrequtils exist?
That would be another form of /etc/default and the same thoughts apply 'ENABLE="true" is how I have it written for that type setup. Also I have /etc/init.d/loadcpufreq where this could be found on some systems.

This is all also in notes marked 'deprecated'.

There is also a similar 'linux-cpupower' I do not believe covers your hardware.

I'd also look through the bios to ensure power settings are enabled.

Good Luck
CwF

Postby EIKA » 2021-01-10 18:11

/etc/init.d/cpufrequtils does exist. Here is its content: https://pastebin.com/btZF6NW3

And I believe that If I can change performance settings with echo and they affects CPU speed, they can be saved somewhere. And this is not BIOS settings issue.
EIKA

Postby CwF » 2021-01-10 18:31

EIKA wrote:/etc/init.d/cpufrequtils does exist

There you go! Those are the instructions, make sure the right governor is selected and use the minimum '1600000' or whatever is reported as available, you're close!
CwF

Postby EIKA » 2021-01-10 18:37

Do you want me to change this file directly? Just to change GOVERNOR or MIN_SPEED constants?
If YES, do I need to rebuild something after that?
EIKA

Postby CwF » 2021-01-10 19:31

EIKA wrote:Do you want me to change this file directly? Just to change GOVERNOR or MIN_SPEED constants?
If YES, do I need to rebuild something after that?

Yes you can and an 'update-initramfs' wouldn't hurt.

It does appear to be enabled and unset. It does mention /etc/default for reference and not any of the others I listed. I'd guess either will do, experiment! And consult 'man cpufrequtils' and such for more details. Mabye in /usr/share/docs/cpufrequtils there is something, a changelog may be interesting.

I don't know of any way changes will bork the system, bad syntax and values will just be ignored.

One quirk I remember is turbo speeds are not addressable, except by a +1. So max is 360000 and turbo whatever is 360001. That always bugged me!
CwF

Previous

Return to System configuration