Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Jessie --> Stretch broke vsftp?

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
bithead

Jessie --> Stretch broke vsftp?

#1 Post by bithead »

I have several IP cameras which for years have been using ftp to send snapshots to a server running Jessie. Last weekend I upgraded Jessie to Stretch and now the snapshots won't upload. The cameras successfully create directories, e.g. '5 hour', '6 hour', etc., but fail to upload files into them. I've been pulling my (longish, thank you COVID!) hair out trying to determine what's changed. Wireshark running on the Stretch server shows the cameras creating the directories, then switching to ftp passive mode, after which nothing else happens.

I did not make any changes to my vsftpd or arno-iptables-firewall configurations, although both apps were upgraded. TCP ports 20 and 21 are open on the firewall. Here is the vsftpd.conf contents:

Code: Select all

listen=YES
anonymous_enable=NO
local_enable=YES
write_enable=YES
local_umask=022
dirmessage_enable=YES
use_localtime=YES
xferlog_enable=YES
connect_from_port_20=YES
xferlog_file=/var/log/vsftpd.log
nopriv_user=ftpsecure
chroot_list_enable=YES
secure_chroot_dir=/var/run/vsftpd/empty
pam_service_name=vsftpd
rsa_cert_file=/etc/ssl/private/vsftpd.pem
I have since configured another machine as an ftp server and the cameras are uploading to it just fine. Even so, I'd like to understand what happened to cause the Debian ftp server to stop accepting the file uploads. Insights appreciated!

~bh