Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Anyone feel like taking a look?

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
DavidAames

Anyone feel like taking a look?

#1 Post by DavidAames »

I am a new/old/reborn Linux user. I started learning Linux back in 1995ish with kernel I dunno I think it was something like 0.46 something.. SLACKWARE!! And I LOVED IT.. and I tinkered around for a long time on and off for many years, but then I started playing games and Windows got a little better and all the games were going on it, so I pretty much ditched it in around 2007. I also quit drinking and mostly quit playing games, except Everquest which I still play often, I got it working great on Linux with lutris and some tinkering. I switched back to Linux full time now Debian/sid. Started with stable but all the outdated stuff wasn't appealing so yeah. Haven't really had a problem with anything and I've been playing with all kinds of stuff, deleted my old windows partition and I'm super happy. More background, I went to school for CISCO back in the early 2000s, built PCs, sold business solutions, things like that for a long time too. What I'm writing this post for is that I was wondering if anyone would like to take a look at my configuration/setup/etc and critique it or help me close up security holes and things like that. It's just a home PC, decent one, but starting to age a little, just really curious and love learning. I am planning on learning Python soon, other things, and just want to get started and make some acquaintances in the Debian community. My good friends from the 90s that got me started on Linux actually started a company called Cylance, not sure if you've heard of it, but I know they are busy and don't want to bother them tooooo much -- but they recommended Debian! Any resources you can point me to or ideas or tools that I can post logs/configurations/etc to say Github or somewhere for review please enlighten me! Thanks!!!

Love,
DavidAames

arid

Re: Anyone feel like taking a look?

#2 Post by arid »

OK, I took a look at your wall of words.

Didn't actually read it.

I love sid. :mrgreen:
There's no drama in my sid......

DavidAames

#3 Post by DavidAames »

Yeah I'm a novelist.. sorry

roseway

#4 Post by roseway »

Perhaps you should learn about paragraphs...
Eric

DavidAames

#5 Post by DavidAames »

I didn't feel like it, thanks for the lesson.

reinob

#6 Post by reinob »

I did read it :)

But all I can say is, welcome :)
I also started with Slackware in '95 and ended up with Debian. Note that after keeping sid/unstable for a few years you learn to love the productive stability of.. stable :)

Cheers.

DavidAames

#7 Post by DavidAames »

Possibly, but personally I kind of just want to play and learn as much as I can and if stuff breaks then I'll have to fix it and that doesn't bother me, this isn't a work computer. :)