Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

All Gnome desktops upside down display

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
serviteccompleto

All Gnome desktops upside down display

#1 Post by serviteccompleto »

When I first installed Debian 10.8 Buster I only installed the KDE plasma desktop environment but Id read the gnome environment was the best option for Debian, true or not I decided to install it, I use the sudo tasksel install desktop gnome-desktop command. It was installed successfully but the problem I have is that my display is in the upside down position, Ive installed a GUI display manager (for Gnome) but it has no effect changing the rotation configuration .

Accidentally I discovered that when I turn my laptop to different positions the displays turns to that position, however I didn't remember but I think the sensor is inverted because when I flip upside down the display turns to the normal position, what I mean is that I don't know if when I flip the laptop to the right the sensor turns the display to the left, not sure about that because I had to change to KDE to write this post because I have no problems with this desktop environment (KDE Plasma).

How can I configure the flip sensor properly , thanks in advance!
Mine is an HP Elitebook 2540p

PD:. This happens in all Gnome (Gnome classic, Xorg, Wayland and GNOME)

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: All Gnome desktops upside down display

#2 Post by sunrat »

serviteccompleto wrote: I only installed the KDE plasma desktop environment but Id read the gnome environment was the best option for Debian, true or not I decided to install it
Why not just use KDE then if it works properly?
I'm sure Gnome's mother loves it but I certainly don't.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

sunrat wrote:Why not just use KDE then if it works properly?
That's a workaround, not a solution :mrgreen:

@OP: I asked a search engine and it said https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... nome-shell — does that help?
deadbang

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by sunrat »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
One person's workaround is another person's X/Y problem. :mrgreen:
@OP: I asked a search engine and it said https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... nome-shell — does that help?
Remapping the orientation sensor as described there would seem to be the solution.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

I remember reading about a famous experiment where George Stratton fitted himself with googles that inverted everything he saw. Maybe they have some goggles left over? :D Probably not--the first one dates back to the late 1800's.
MX Linux packager and developer

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

The lens projects an inverted image onto the retina anyway so the OP should just reverse some of the processing done by their brain to flip the image :mrgreen:
deadbang

serviteccompleto

#7 Post by serviteccompleto »

sunrat wrote:
serviteccompleto wrote: I only installed the KDE plasma desktop environment but Id read the gnome environment was the best option for Debian, true or not I decided to install it
Why not just use KDE then if it works properly?
I'm sure Gnome's mother loves it but I certainly don't.

You partially right with your affirmation but let me explain you something, I give technical service since some years ago, and from my personal perspective its a good time for promoting the use of GNU/Linux to the final desktop users, I've been testing some Distros for my personal use and being sure that the product Ill recommend will cover the necessities of all wishing to give open source a chance so when I face this cases I ask myself if it is yet a good idea to say someone the wonderful thing open source is, I mean from the perceptive if someone will choose to use the GNOME desktop environment on Debian (for whatever reason) and maybe having the idea they wont face this kind of problems, as I said I'm a beginner in the Linux world, I am trying to learn how to face these inconveniences.

This is also a starting point for me to know how really strong is the community in the effort of developing in order to solve these kind of problems and remember GNOME does not have only a mother but aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. (I am sorry if my english is not too clear)

serviteccompleto

#8 Post by serviteccompleto »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Reading this information helps me to learn more about all the edges involved, thak you very much

serviteccompleto

#9 Post by serviteccompleto »

sunrat wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
One person's workaround is another person's X/Y problem. :mrgreen:
Remapping the orientation sensor as described there would seem to be the solution.

In regards my current capacity I’d need a test dummie manual about how to do that, I’ll do my best to learn little by little, thank you

serviteccompleto

#10 Post by serviteccompleto »

stevepusser wrote:I remember reading about a famous experiment where George Stratton fitted himself with googles that inverted everything he saw. Maybe they have some goggles left over? :D Probably not--the first one dates back to the late 1800's.

I think I got the joke but as I explained to our folk I'm also testing the community empathy initiative, precisely I’ve read before that in some forums that initiative is what is sometimes upside down, for now I just turn off the rotation function while I investigate more for a real solution. Thank you anyway!

serviteccompleto

#11 Post by serviteccompleto »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:The lens projects an inverted image onto the retina anyway so the OP should just reverse some of the processing done by their brain to flip the image :mrgreen:

Our eyes and brains work perfectly , the problem is no there!