Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

kernel panic: can't find root fs

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
johan54

kernel panic: can't find root fs

#1 Post by johan54 »

A few days ago there was an update to Buster (10.4) but after all that Buster will not start anymore. There are a few different situations: I attempt to start via the BIOS (HP Probook 650 G1, L77), get the grubmenu and choose Debian, get the message "loading 4.19.0-14-amd64" for several seconds but then get some garbage in the top quarter of the screen and nothing is possible anymore but to keep the powerbutton pressed a while to switch off.
Otherwise: I choose opensuse in the BIOS, get the grub, choose Debian, "loading", garbage, but then a number of messages about panic and something like: can't find root fs.

Another thing is that MS-update to W10 called 20H2 that messed up the partitionnumbering by, just for fun, inserting a new partition. Thanks so much for that, MS! I corrected the TWO grub.cfg files: gptxx moves up by 1.

But nothing helps. That is: Suse Leap yes, Debian Buster no. I don't get what's wrong here. Anyone?

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: kernel panic: can't find root fs

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Can we see the full content of grub.cfg (in code tags please) and also the output of

Code: Select all

efibootmgr -v
parted --list
blkid
^ Those commands can be run from any live ISO image.
deadbang

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by p.H »

What do you mean by "garbage" ? Text that you do not understand ?
"kernel panic: cannot find root fs" may be caused by a missing or corrupted initramfs (/boot/initrd.img-4.19.0-14-amd64).
From openSUSE, you can mount the Debian root filesystem (or /boot is separate) and check whether the file exists and seems valid.

lsinitramfs /<mountpoint>/{,boot/}initrd.img-4.19.0-14-amd64)
johan54 wrote:Another thing is that MS-update to W10 called 20H2 that messed up the partitionnumbering by, just for fun, inserting a new partition. Thanks so much for that, MS! I corrected the TWO grub.cfg files: gptxx moves up by 1.
grub.cfg uses UUIDs, it should not be bothered with partition number changes.

johan54

#4 Post by johan54 »

p.H wrote:What do you mean by "garbage" ? Text that you do not understand ?
It might be text but grossly stretched to the right from the bottom up, so utterly unreadable. Not that important.
p.H wrote:"kernel panic: cannot find root fs" may be caused by a missing or corrupted initramfs (/boot/initrd.img-4.19.0-14-amd64).
Well I haven't looked closely enough the first time 'cause there are 5 instances of e.g. vmlinuz but 2 initrd are not there, including version 14!
p.H wrote:grub.cfg uses UUIDs, it should not be bothered with partition number changes.
True, I checked them using Gparted and they are all unchanged. So I thought: wtf... I updated those gptxx, right?!

I searched for "initrd.img-4.19.0-14-amd64" on debian.org but got no result. It's in the latest xxx.gz or what? I'll find it I guess so this problem will be solved. Allthough, by what and why have those 2 files been erased? I have no idea what happened there. Update screw-up?

And that infantile MS-crap is another topic, right?

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by p.H »

johan54 wrote:there are 5 instances of e.g. vmlinuz but 2 initrd are not there
What do you mean ? Where there ? In /boot ? In grub.cfg ?
Please be more precise. Also, showing is better than telling.
johan54 wrote:I searched for "initrd.img-4.19.0-14-amd64" on debian.org but got no result.
What kind of result did you expect ?
johan54 wrote:t's in the latest xxx.gz or what?
What xxxx.gz are you talking about ? The initramfs (initrd.img) is built by update-initramfs after installing, updating or removing packages which provide files included in the initramfs.

darkcity

#6 Post by darkcity »

Could be a corrupted download of the update?

johan54

#7 Post by johan54 »

darkcity wrote:Could be a corrupted download of the update?
That too is entirely possible, crap happens. I had a look in boot.log but that didn't cough up any clues.

During the update I was somewhat amazed by a few dozen lines saying "a start job is running " etc, hadn't seen so many simultaniously running during earlier updates. Don't know if that means anything at all.

Anyhow, apparently the update didn't create a new initrd.img (and deleted a previous one while older versions are still present). Btw, I did not know that file is not a static file (so no download, that figures).

So, I have probably 2 options: either get the system to create it in /boot using the DVD's rescue mode, or install Buster from scratch.
Don't mind if I do the latter, there are no personal data/files of any kind on this laptop. Then it's only just boring and timeconsuming to repeat the lot. Again.

Thanks for the help anyway.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#8 Post by p.H »

You say that /boot still has some initrd.img files. So you should be able to boot with the corresponding kernel version from the "advanced options for Debian" submenu in GRUB.
You can create the missing initramfs for the 4.19.0-14-amd64 kernel version with

update-initramfs -c -k 4.19.0-14-amd64
The missing initramfs may be caused by insufficient available space in /boot or / during the update. Also some upgraded packages may not be configured properly. You can configure them with

dpkg --configure --pending

trinidad

#9 Post by trinidad »

few dozen lines saying "a start job is running " etc, hadn't seen so many simultaniously running during earlier updates
Normal behaviour if you first download and then initiate offline updates.

TC
You can't believe your eyes if your imagination is out of focus.

johan54

#10 Post by johan54 »

p.H wrote:The missing initramfs may be caused by insufficient available space in /boot
Yes, with those previous versions still present close to 200MB isn't enough. I could free up 99MB.

Now, forgive my ignorance: so far I've been messing around in Suse 10 (no name) and Debian Etch. Yes, both ancient, on ditto desktops.
In those, logging in as root means I am root but in these, Leap and Buster, apparently not so much because I get the message that I don't have permission. AS ROOT! This way I can't remove those "obsolete" versions, that is I'll keep the "previous" one (which is now running, v11). And sudo doesn't do the trick, either.

During installation I answered yes to create both accounts. So, where did I go wrong? I can't even find appropriate info in e.g. the installation manual.

I'll tell you, I hardly ever encounter any problem running Windows 98SE... Not that I regret buying this second-hand laptop, today's virusscanners are huge but do work on this thing (I've got a number of partitions to keep an eye on).

I sort of remember having read somewhere the setup of the root-thing was changed due to security considerations. DOES all that work differently nowadays?

And at the moment I'm getting kind of fed up with all the surplus setup/configuration-crap. It takes time to dive deeper into all that and I'm not so interested anymore. On the other hand: when like last week this Buster wouldn't work anymore I do think "come on, not with me you don't"...

OK, the files of versions -9, -10 and -12 are gone (including their menu-entries in grub.cfg), so the only one still missing is initrd.img v14, but the command "update-initramfs" is not found. That was as root in a terminal-window in directory /usr/sbin, so, not found in the working directory while the program is right there? What?

Almost there, though.

Today, Saturday, it resolved itself by another update so v14 is active again. Still not sure if I will bother becoming an experienced user...

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#11 Post by p.H »

johan54 wrote:I get the message that I don't have permission. AS ROOT
While doing what exactly ?
What is the exact and complete message ?
johan54 wrote:During installation I answered yes to create both accounts.
What accounts ? What installation ? AFAIK the Debian installer does not ask whether to create two accounts.
Please do not compare Debian and openSUSE, this is a Debian-only forum, we don't know and don't care about openSUSE.
johan54 wrote:And at the moment I'm getting kind of fed up with all the surplus setup/configuration-crap.
At the moment I'm getting kind of fed up with the useless rant and incomplete information.