Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Giving my laptop etc a different identity for one purpose?

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
tpprynn

Giving my laptop etc a different identity for one purpose?

#1 Post by tpprynn »

There is a particular niche online community I've perodically enjoyed for fifteen years which I left a few times and eventually seem to have been banned from. It might even be a banal case of looking like I was a bot or something, when I last tried to enrol, or maybe a dormant account exists with the same IP address assocated with it. I'm certainly too old ot have been rude or anything like that. I had no luck trying to talk with the board owner, no reply.

He's a bit 'eccentric', some would even say differently bigoted. Many people in my shoes would just give up I suppose. Some oniine communities can be famiiy-like to a certain kind of person, sanctuary, relief. I read that forum now and often 'drink it in' because of the nature of our shared emergency, it's good human background noise for someone who doesn't use a television anymore.

I'm increasingly likely to be moving home within eighteen months, and having new equipment, and maybe can rejoin without looking suspicious. But is there a way to simulate this in a fixed way with the physical address, laptop and 4G router that I already have? To make my setup act as if I'm someone else somewhere else.

I have had a bit of a journey with computers going through writing games in my teens, not touching a machine for a decade, distro-hopping, and then settling with Debian. Some of the stuff I had to do to get to my current setup feels very foggy already. I struggle a bit to understand things I'm sure would have been simple a decade ago so if what I'm hoping for can be done ideally it'd involve pretty simple methods and not days or weeks of struggle.

Thanks.

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

Re: Giving my laptop etc a different identity for one purpos

#2 Post by 4D696B65 »

So you want us to help you spoof a forum that does not want you as a member?

My advice is to email the admin and plead your case.
Other than that, this is out of the scope of this forum therefore locking.

Good luck