ssh file transfer

Kernels & Hardware, configuring network, installing services

ssh file transfer

Postby newbee » 2004-06-09 16:44

I read somewhere that it is possible to transher files with the ssh protocol.
I don't know where I read this, but is this possible?
newbee

ssh file transfer

Postby sylvain » 2004-06-09 19:34

Yes it is.

I use "scp user@remotehost:/path/to/file where/to/put/it"

scp comes with the ssh package. You can use sftp as well.
sylvain

Postby » 2004-06-14 12:03

you also can do :

scp path/to/file user@remote:where/to/put/it

you can use * and ? in filenames in order to copy several files at once!

Postby root04 » 2004-06-23 03:25

I use WinSCP on "Win - Linux" transfers.
http://winscp.sourceforge.net/eng/
root04

Postby spork102 » 2004-09-14 21:13

WinSCP works great for one-time transfer. I use it all the time, and highly recomend it.

But if you are doing regular transfers, you may find another option useful. I use rsync (from Cygwin) to keep data on my linux server synced to a W2K box.

rsync $RSYNC_OPTIONS $SOURCE $DESTINATION

The full command I use it:
rsync -auvz --progress --partial --bwlimit=60 -e ssh --delete ./ user@linux.server:/home/user/active_files

What does this do?

$SOURCE = ./ (the source directory is the current directory on the computer I am running rsync on)

$RSYNC_OPTIONS
--delete DELETES files on the destination that do not appear on the source
-auvz (transfer All, Update [only transfer changed files], Verbose logging, use Zip compression)
--progress (show progress indicators)
--partial (keep partially transferred files so that they can be resumed later)
--bwlimit=60 (limit transfer to not more than 60kbps of bandwidth)
-e ssh (use ssh as the transport, tunneling the transfer through ssh)

$DESTINATION = user@linux.server:/home/user/active_files
there are three components to the destination in this example:
username (user)
server address (linux.server)
absolute path to the destination directory on the server (/home/user/active_files)

If you can log into a server with the command "ssh user@linux.server", then you probably already have the necessary server side software.

Client side, you will need rsync and ssh. I got these from Cygwin (http://www.cygwin.com). There are other versions of rsync and ssh that you can use as well. Those packages are usually smaller and simplier. I just had much more success with the Cygwin packages.
spork102

Postby mzilikazi » 2004-09-16 02:53

Or make your life easy and use mc! :) mc is not only is the best file manager ever created it also does ftp and ssh. Oh yeah! Simply fire up your favorite terminal, type mc (or mc -b if you don't like blue) cd /some/dircetory, hit 'Tab' to change panes, hit F9 and select "Shell link", enter username@i.p.add.re.ss, hit enter, give the password and voila! you're at the other box. No long scp commands to remember.

I never use ftp on my web server anymore to upload files or to send files to and from work, only ssh via mc. It's a beautiful (and secure) thing.
mzilikazi
Forum Ninja

Postby lacek » 2004-09-16 11:15

Well, I don't mean to flame, but mc has some nasty and annoying bugs. For example, upon uploading, it first copies the file to be uploaded to the /tmp directory, and _then_ it uploads it. Apart from unnecessarily flooding the hard disk and causing load with this, it also takes more time than a 'simple' ftp or ssh. With relatively small files, it is OK, but did you ever tried to upload a 600M file? :-)
lacek
Moderator Team Member

Postby Guest » 2004-09-16 12:27

lacek wrote: it also takes more time than a 'simple' ftp or ssh. With relatively small files, it is OK, but did you ever tried to upload a 600M file? :-)

Well I can't argue with you there. It isn't extremely fast but as you've guessed I don't transfer huge files (that would be too painful :) ) but rather documents and photos. What I really like is the fact that I don't need more ports open on my router. Have you experimented with lufs yet?

Re: ssh file transfer

Postby tronx » 2004-09-16 13:40

newbee wrote:I read somewhere that it is possible to transher files with the ssh protocol.
I don't know where I read this, but is this possible?

yes, whit
sftp user@ip
u ll use the ssh protocol for transfer your files.
tronx

gftp

Postby miikkajo » 2004-09-16 19:23

there is also gftp
its really good ftp client and it does sftp too
miikkajo

Return to System configuration