Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

What is the right version

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
gm51856

#1 Post by gm51856 »

Hi to all!
I'm an other Gates fan (the m@$%&#@ f$%#@) and want to try Debian. I keep on reading and exploring the different options (distribution) that are available and so far I think Debian is where I want to get my hands on.
This is my first time that I will try to do this and really I don't know where to start from.
I build my own computers for some time now and I always use AMD processors. Here is my bigest question! What version of Debian do I need? If there is a link or an advice, I can use it.
I hope, I'm not asking to re-invent the wheel!

asimonelli

#2 Post by asimonelli »

Is this your first experience with GNU/Linux? Debian is a great distribution and includes thousands of programs, anywhere from being a production server to a home desktop and it is completely free.

Debian supports the most architectures I've ever seen and a good place to find out which one you will need is in the ports section. Then you can purchase the disks or download all of the ISO's using Jigdo or just the ISO's themselves; all 14 of them! :shock: .

If this is your first experience with GNU/Linux, you should probably start with some easier distributions that are Debian based such as Ubuntu (yes the name is different but it is good) and Mepis. Both come with "Live" versions that run without installing them on your harddrive so you can test them to see if you like them before installing them and also to test to see how it runs on your hardware.

#3 Post by Guest »

Thank you for your responce!javascript:emoticon(':lol:')

Yes this is my first time that I will put my hands on a Linux OS. My bigest questions is which architecture to use? I get all comfused with i386. Is this good for an AMD processor?

I read some reviews about Ubuntu and I think I will start from there. I also will take a pick on Mepis.

Thank you again.javascript:emoticon(':lol:')

Jansu
Location: In the back of my head, next to the mysterious voice.

Re: What is the right version

#4 Post by Jansu »

Anonymous wrote:Thank you for your responce!javascript:emoticon(':lol:')

Yes this is my first time that I will put my hands on a Linux OS. My bigest questions is which architecture to use? I get all comfused with i386. Is this good for an AMD processor?

I read some reviews about Ubuntu and I think I will start from there. I also will take a pick on Mepis.

Thank you again.javascript:emoticon(':lol:')
The i386 just indicates that the build is built (duh) for IBM PC processors. You can see a complete list of the different ports on Debian projetc page. But yes, as long as it is a standard 32-bit (64-bits have their own) PC environment, the i386 is to be used. I think that, atleast some distributors, optimize the code for 386 processors. But that is nothing to worry about in the beginning.

- J
<Insert your favorite quote here>

#5 Post by Guest »

If I was you I would consider this if I would install Debian...

1. Shall I use my computer with dual boat (probably yes) if only Debian you can ignore step 2 and 3

2. Have I a free empty partition or harddrive ready to install debian on? If no I would create a new free partition with help of a partition manager (partition magic or similar)

3. How should I install Debian?
a If you have broadband connection, its easy, download an net_install. Otherwise I don't recomend you to try Debian.

4. You should then chose the version of Debian, realistical a Debian 3.1 is the only option if you want your new hardware to work (serial ata,drivers mm) and the installation to be smooth.

5. if you are an AMD64 owner you can choose between 32bit or 64bit version, I would choose the 64 version if flash and webbrowser pluggins is not so important (some are lacking 64 bit versions)

6. Download a Sarge net_install (32 or 64 bit), it should be around 140 MB in sisze and burn it to a cd, I usally use a CD-RW, you won't need the CD after the installation. Now you are ready to install.

7 Before you begin to install be aware that you will overvrite windows boot loader and If something goes wrong you should have your Windows Install CD So you can re-install the Windows boot loader.

8. The Debian 3.1 is a relative easy to install, but you should read the instruction carfully for each step, the most important thing is DONT PRESS RETURN when it ask you if you want to install Debian, if you do it will install an old version of linux kernel (2.4) and trust me, you don't want that; instead you should write something like "linux26" and THEN press return, then you will get the 2.6 version of the kernel.

9. When its nearly finnished it will ask you about what kind of installation you want (database server, mail-server, desktop) here it is important that you shoose Desktop installation, because you are new...