Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

WLAN setup

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
LeadingMNMs

WLAN setup

#1 Post by LeadingMNMs »

Sorry to be a pain, I'm rather new to Linux and am trying to setup my Debian machine to use my wireless network.

The wireless adapter connects to the USB header and as far I can tell should use the Prism chip. I believe that I need to use the linux-wlan-ng driver / package to get the adapter to work, since at the moment, it doesn't appear as an adapter.

I had a go installing it, but it came up with an error about the kernel source tree being missing or incomplete. I'm assuming that I've supplied the wrong path, but I don't really know where things are at the moment.

Using the 2.6.8-11 AMD64 kernel - I think.

Any help would be much appreciated.

#2 Post by Guest »

What does lsusb gives when you install it?
What does lsmod gives after install?

#3 Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:What does lsusb gives when you install it?
What does lsmod gives after install?
That is, when you install the device, not program. Sorry. :wink:
If you install hald and hal-device-manager, you can have a Graphical UI to look att stats. Those are usefull to get info about which driver to use.
(lsusb -v gives idVendor and idProduct that is usfull id information)

LeadingMNMs

#4 Post by LeadingMNMs »

lsusb gives

Code: Select all

Bus 003 Device 002: ID 07cc:0301 Carry Computer Eng., Co., Ltd 6-in-1 Card Reader
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 124a:168b AirVast
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Screenshot

I hope these mean something to you.