Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

"Sarge" drops network link

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Jansu
Location: In the back of my head, next to the mysterious voice.

"Sarge" drops network link

#1 Post by Jansu »

Hello

So far I have tried two different Linux distros: Fedora Core 4 and Debian net install. But had the same issue. They both recognized the network card okay (cannot vouch for Debian since the init screen rolls quite fast). But as soon as the system boots and the kernel loads, looking at the back of my network card, the link LED goes dead. Needless to say that I have no access to any network after that point. In windows everything works allright. The last test was today (Aug. 30th 2005) with a Debian net install built today. It just does not work.

The card is a generic AMD HomePNA card. It worked in my previous Linux evaluations, a few years ago, but not with these two new tries.

I intend to dual with Windows, but I doubt that has anything to do with it, since the link LED did burn on P.O.S.T. screen and continued until the kernel started loading.

I am clueless as what to do with this.

- J

Setup:
AMD Thunderbird 1 GHz
MSI K7 Turbo (VIA KTA133)
650 MB RAM
nVIDIA Geforce 2 MX
SB! Live 1024
NEC 3540 DVD+/- RW DL
Sony DVD ROM
WD 100 GB
WD 80 GB * 2
<Insert your favorite quote here>

domecq
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#2 Post by domecq »

"...cannot vouch for Debian since the init screen rolls quite fast..."

It's not a problem. Open a terminal a run dmesg. It'll output the data you want.

Cheers,

Domecq