Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Custom kernel, and always kernel panic :<

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
oscar

Custom kernel, and always kernel panic :<

#1 Post by oscar »

Hello everyone.
I'm having a _very_ annoying problem while trying to compile a custom kernel on my laptop - it always ends up with...

Code: Select all

Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root on unknown-block(0,0)
This isn't the first time I've compiled a kernel - I've been doing it several times a month the last 2-3 years, so I think I'm pretty confident with the procedure, what I need in order to make the kernel work, and what I don't need.

But then it comes to debian...
I've never been able to compile my own kernel i debian (well, not a 2.6, I haven't tried any 2.4). EVER. And I can't figure out why.
Everything I need is compiled in the kernel. I've compiled both using the make-kpkg (cd /usr/src/linux ; fakeroot make-kpkg kernel-image) and with the plain old vanilla method. Nothing seems to help.
Is there anything I've missed in debian? Like a brand new "we all hate oscar and his kernels" function?

I'm running debian etch on my laptop, but I've had the same problem while using sarge on it.

lacek

#2 Post by lacek »

If you make your kernel with make-kpkg, you must make an initrd image, since Debian kernels doesn't have much drivers compiled in; the drivers are loaded from the initrd.
So, all you need to do is, after you did a make-kpkg, and installed the resulting package, to run this command:

Code: Select all

mkinitrd -o initrd-(version) (version)
where (version) is the version you gave to the kernel. If you don't remember, or just want to be sure, check /lib/modules. There will be a directory named the version of your new kernel.
After you done, copy the created initrd to /boot, and edit your boot loader's config file to load the initrd with the kernel image. That should do it.