Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

logging & IPTABLES

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.

logging & IPTABLES

#1 Post by Guest »

Hi,
maybe I'm not searching correctly, but I haven't been able to find any useful documentation on logging and IPTABLES. Everything I find assumes you already have a solid knowledge, which is absolutely not my case.
Please help me find complete information/tutorials on the following:

LOGS
- a complete list of all the possible loggings for which you can configure Debian;
- how to set up logging (meaning how to instruct Debian to log something);
- how to know which logs are active on the system;
- how to interpret log results (error messages etc..);

IPTABLES
- is there a configuration file for this? Somewhere you can look to know the current settings?
- a complete list of all the possible configuration settings of IPTABLES + instructions on how to configure it;
- how to set up logging;

Thank you very much for any help. I repeat, I am not asking to receive answers from you, just some links to places where I can learn how to do everything listed above. Some places meant for novices, not for experts.

Harold

#2 Post by Harold »

Firewalling (IPTables) is the least intuitive part of Linux that I've dealt with. If someone is aware of a lucent tutorial, I would love to know about it also. In the meantime, take a look at www.shorewall.net. It gets real deep real fast, but at least it will enable you to get a firewall up and running.

Logging? The Linux Administration Handbook has a chapter on it. It's... a place to start. :-/

#3 Post by Guest »

Harold wrote:Firewalling (IPTables) is the least intuitive part of Linux that I've dealt with. If someone is aware of a lucent tutorial, I would love to know about it also.
I just found this tutorial, I still haven't gone into it, but lots of people are recommending it, so it should be good:

http://iptables-tutorial.frozentux.net/

Thanks a lot for all the help you have given me and bye