Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to properly remove 3c509

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Luke1410

How to properly remove 3c509

#1 Post by Luke1410 »

I just replaced an old 3c509 by a second 3c905 nic. Now Debian (Sarge 3.1r0, kernel 2.4.18) still tries to find the 3c509 at boottime. If I remember right I added the 3c509.o driver during the installation procedure (somewhere in the configscreens).

But how do I remove the driver again?
Though searching for an answer on the net for two days now, I just didn't find the tiniest hint. A link or the right google-keywords would be very appreciated, too.

#2 Post by Guest »

Forgot to meantion:
I already checked all files in /etc/init.d as well used modconf (3c509 is not marked there, only 3c59x is).

Luke1410

#3 Post by Luke1410 »

Finally discovered the hidden entry in /etc/modules.
Sorry having bothered you... Everything's working now. :)

Harold

#4 Post by Harold »

The discover (or discover1) package does an excellent job of detecting hardware during boot, and /etc/modules appears to be no longer useful or necessary. I recommend that you hash out all entries in /etc/modules, then unhash individual lines only as needed. But I seriously doubt that anything will have to be unhashed. :-)

Luke1410

#5 Post by Luke1410 »

Thx, I'm going to give this a try.