Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Reconfigure monitor doesn't work

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
PaulR

Reconfigure monitor doesn't work

#1 Post by PaulR »

Can anyone help me with this problem?

I installed Debian (Sarge) on a computer with a 17 inch monitor and chose the 'Simple' option in the monitor set up part of the install script.

I want to use the machine on a day to day basis with an old 15 inch screen but when I connected it up I get a 'Sync. out of range' message on the monitor.

I found the details for my monitor here... http://www.samtron.com/product/56e_spec.html

If I run dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 it still doesn't work - I've tried just choosing the monitor size, choosing a (low) resolution (both 640x480 and 800x600 with 16 and 24 bit options) or choosing the advanced option and putting in the details from the above website.

The graphics card is one of those nasty on-board SiS things (sorry I don't have the model number) if that is relevant - I've tried choosing both SiS and generic 'vesa' when attempting to reconfigure but to no avail.

Help much appreciated
(Newbie level please!)

anon

#2 Post by anon »

Turn your computer off, attach 15' start. X window will fail to start, that's ok, just opt to turn it off and log in as root.
Do the dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86, select advanced and enter the frequenzy ranges and the resolutions you want ((de)select with space, move around with the cursors and finish with return). Run dexconf and start the server /etc/init.d/gdm start if you're using the default, replace gdm with your login manager if you've changed it, otherwise a reboot will work as well.

To see what's supported by the sis driver do:
man sis