Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

ATI driver, and broken package

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
lucesei

ATI driver, and broken package

#1 Post by lucesei »

Hi,
due to no support in Debian for my ATI Radeon X600 Pro (and so no working xserver), I considered these tutorials:
http://www.iomonkey.com/linux/hp_zd800 ... 6.20.html
and finally managed to get the x server working. Since I don't need 3D acceleration, I didn't bother to compile a kernel module (according to the above tutorials I am allowed to do so), and simply did this:
1. downloaded the official driver (.rpm) from ATI (xfree86 4.3);
2. alien(ated) the .rpm to a .deb package;
3. dpkg -i --force-overwrite "the .deb package";
4. did an fglrxconfig;
5. started X;
and now I have a nice Gnome desktop in front of me.
PROBLEM
Synaptic package manager (that I like and want to use), reports the ATI driver as being a broken package, will not (or can't) fix it, and refuses to do any work unless I allow it to uninstall this broken package first. I don't think this is a good idea.
None of the above tutorials mention this problem of the broken package, I don't have enough knowledge to understand why it is broken, what have I done wrong (if any), and how to repair it. Also seems strange that the package is broken, and yet works so well.

If someone has experience in this field and can give me a hand, I would very much appreciate it.
Thanks in advance and bye,

Luke

jobezone

Re: ATI driver, and broken package

#2 Post by jobezone »

lucesei wrote:Hi,
due to no support in Debian for my ATI Radeon X600 Pro (and so no working xserver), I considered these tutorials:
http://www.iomonkey.com/linux/hp_zd800 ... 6.20.html
and finally managed to get the x server working. Since I don't need 3D acceleration, I didn't bother to compile a kernel module (according to the above tutorials I am allowed to do so), and simply did this:
1. downloaded the official driver (.rpm) from ATI (xfree86 4.3);
2. alien(ated) the .rpm to a .deb package;
3. dpkg -i --force-overwrite "the .deb package";
4. did an fglrxconfig;
5. started X;
and now I have a nice Gnome desktop in front of me.
PROBLEM
Synaptic package manager (that I like and want to use), reports the ATI driver as being a broken package, will not (or can't) fix it, and refuses to do any work unless I allow it to uninstall this broken package first. I don't think this is a good idea.
None of the above tutorials mention this problem of the broken package, I don't have enough knowledge to understand why it is broken, what have I done wrong (if any), and how to repair it. Also seems strange that the package is broken, and yet works so well.

If someone has experience in this field and can give me a hand, I would very much appreciate it.
Thanks in advance and bye,

Luke
I don't use it often, but isn't there an option under the Package menu in synaptic, which allows you to lock the package so it isn't handled by apt?
Also, I think there some work being done about this (to create a free driver for X.Org ) in dri.freedesktop.org.
The Debian Documentation website contains the FAQ, Installation Manual and the Release Notes for Etch. They're helpful if you want to learn more about debian!

Sasha2

#3 Post by Sasha2 »

Installation proprietary ATI drivers under Sarge is rather an easy task.
Proceed as follows:
1) Go to ATI site, download latest (8.16.20) installer, and keep it in safe place.
2) If you have not yet installed Debian Sarge, than install and choose VESA driver driver (not anything els).
3) After installing Sarge install appropriate to you kernel header files. Use uname -r to determine the version of your kernel, and then in synaptic choose accorfingly.
4) run previously downloaded installer after having made it exec.
5) Then if everything is OK (see /usr/share/fglrx/fglrx-install.log) go to console.
6) In console run dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86.
In the list you should choose fglrx. And go on with rest options at your option.
7) Reboot and enjoy.

P.S If when installing Sarge you choose ati then before installing you should migrate to VESA.

Jagganath

#4 Post by Jagganath »

Sasha2 wrote:Installation proprietary ATI drivers under Sarge is rather an easy task.
Proceed as follows:
1) Go to ATI site, download latest (8.16.20) installer, and keep it in safe place.
2) If you have not yet installed Debian Sarge, than install and choose VESA driver driver (not anything els).
3) After installing Sarge install appropriate to you kernel header files. Use uname -r to determine the version of your kernel, and then in synaptic choose accorfingly.
4) run previously downloaded installer after having made it exec.
5) Then if everything is OK (see /usr/share/fglrx/fglrx-install.log) go to console.
6) In console run dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86.
In the list you should choose fglrx. And go on with rest options at your option.
7) Reboot and enjoy.

P.S If when installing Sarge you choose ati then before installing you should migrate to VESA.
Could you explain this to me?
I have a laptop with an ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 videocard.
I already installed Debian, but have choosen the Ati driver during setup.
I do have picture, but only in 800x600.. when I choose 1024x768, the resolution changes, but not the screen... so i have like 3 mousecursors on my screen (if you get what i mean)..
How can i solve this?
I tried downloading and installing an DRI snapshot but that didn't work.. cause that snapshot was based on an older kernel, so i couldn't compile it.
I am completely new to linux.. so pardon my noobish questions ;-)
ATI hasn't made a driver for linux for my gfx-card i believe..