Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Single user, to login without passwd

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
grautu

Single user, to login without passwd

#1 Post by grautu »

Hi!
I did obtained password-less login but I did it only through mouse-clicking on the KDE graphic interface. However I would prefer to understand which script files are involved and how to manually edit them to this very effect (for all runlevels, if the case); maybe /etc/pam.d/login is the file to edit but, if so, I didn't see the right way to do it. Could anybody help me anyway? Any hint would be appreciated. Please keep in mind: it is a desktop with Debian "sarge".
Thanks!

lacek

#2 Post by lacek »

Do you want to start your system without logging in at all?
Then open up KDE control center, go System Administration->Login Manager, go to administrator mode, click on the "Convenience" tab, and check the "Enable auto-login" checkbox.
Or did I misunderstood you...?

#3 Post by Guest »

lacek wrote:Do you want to start your system without logging in at all?
Then open up KDE control center, go System Administration->Login Manager, go to administrator mode, click on the "Convenience" tab, and check the "Enable auto-login" checkbox.
Or did I misunderstood you...?
Hi lacek!
Your recipe is precisely what I did but the unanswered question is "Which configuration files are modified by applying that recipe?". In other words: how could one obtain the same effect by merely editing configuration files? Here is my point.

dawgie

#4 Post by dawgie »

Anonymous wrote: "Which configuration files are modified by applying that recipe?". In other words: how could one obtain the same effect by merely editing configuration files? Here is my point.
Edit
/etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc
or if you are using gdm:
/etc/gdm/gdm.conf

grautu

#5 Post by grautu »

Hello!
It's me back (the same as the Guest from above). To be completely clear:
lacek wrote:Do you want to start your system without logging in at all?
Assume yes, I do want to start without logging in, but also assume I do not have X in my system, therefore I don not have KDE!
Thanks!

grautu

#6 Post by grautu »

dawgie wrote:
Anonymous wrote: Edit
/etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc
or if you are using gdm:
/etc/gdm/gdm.conf
Grateful thanks!
It seems we are concomitantly online. So your answer settles the problem under X: I did verify that, I do have the KDE file and I have seen indeed the relevant code therein. It remains the same problem for non-X runlevels.
Thanks again!

#7 Post by Guest »

grautu wrote: It remains the same problem for non-X runlevels.
Thanks again!
I don't understand why you would want a wide-open system.
Check the Debian reference chapter 9.2
The file to operate on is inthe directory (may be one of several file names depending upon what distro you are using):
/etc/pam.d/
Depending upon how insecure you want to make your system, there are many options. If you are allowing passwordless access, you should disable access to most services.