Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Will not Boot after installing gnome

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
brettmr

Will not Boot after installing gnome

#1 Post by brettmr »

Hey, I am on a dell inspiron 6000, i installed debian base system from the sarge netinstall disk. After a lot of playing around i finally got the kernel 2.6.13 to boot up. I then started to try and get X up and running, so after reading up i decided to go with Ubuntu's Xorg, so i added the Ubuntu hoary lines in apt and then i installed xorg and the basic xwindow system stuff.

Now here is where it gets tricky, Everything was fine up untill this point. I rebooted and the system started no problem, although the x server was not working properly yet.

Next i tried to apt-get install gnome... it gave me dependency errors, so i went over to dselect and selected gnome and accepeted the suggested packages that gnome depended on.

All of these installed no problems, but when i rebooted it hangs at:

Starting MTA:

Now, i booted into the 2.4 kernel, no problem, went into /ete/init.d and took out the exim4 file and then tried to go back to 2.6.13 and this time it hung at:

Starting print spooler: lds

So yeah... i have no idea what is going on, if anybody can help me out it would be great.
Thanks,
Brett R

domecq
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#2 Post by domecq »

It's pretty tough to troubleshoot this Ubuntu + Debian mix.

Try to get rid of Ubuntu packages and install Debian ones and we can work from there.

Cheers,

Domecq

Mexican_Pirate

#3 Post by Mexican_Pirate »

Yeah, I'll have to agree there. I have a Dell Inspiron 2200 so I'm guessing the hardware is very similar, and I have a pure Debian installation that runs like clockwork.
Arr, ese!