Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Rebooting problem after attempted upgrades of the Kernel

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Ahnilated

Rebooting problem after attempted upgrades of the Kernel

#1 Post by Ahnilated »

I was using Debian Unstable with kernel 2.6.11. I first tried to install the 2.6-686 kernel and that didn't work so I read that the 2.6-k7 kernel would work better. The system is an AMD K7 on an ASUS motherboard with a 73G SCSI HD. After rebooting from the second kernel attempt and running Lilo with no errors I get a kernel panic error. The error I get is "VFS: Cannot open root device "802" or unknown-block(8,2) Please append a correct "root=" boot option Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,2).

Now a little background info in the whole mess. I found out the hard way that my Lilo was not hardcoded to have the /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11 kernel that was working setup so after the 2 reboots it won't come back up. I also found out that my recovery floppy has taken a dump.

So now I am stuck not being able to reboot the system onto a good kernel image even with using the command on booting with a cd at the "boot" line of "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11 root=/dev/sda2 ro" or the Linuxold line being it now thinks the 2.6-k7 kernel ,which didn't work, is the Linuxold not my 2.6.11 kernel.

I have tried using the Ubuntu Live cd to boot that system and get in and edit the Lilo.conf file but it won't allow me to run Lilo, gives off a shared library error being it uses a different setup.

I read on Debian " Once you have installed your 2.6 kernel, but before you reboot, make sure you have a recovery method. First, make sure that the bootloader configuration has entries for both the new kernel and the old, working 2.4 kernel. You should also ensure you have a "rescue" floppy or cdrom to hand, in case misconfiguration of the bootloader prevents you booting the old kernel." I already know this part of it but can't do anything to solve the problem and I am kind of at an impass right now.

Is there a fix for this problem without having to reinstall the system? Some tips of any type to restore this system to working would be greatly appreciated.

Judas

#2 Post by Judas »

You can boot from the CD using "rescue" option. I don't remember exactly how to specify it (read the help on the CD), but it should get you into the system using some failsafe kernel. Also use grub as a bootloader - it's easier and more failsafe.

#3 Post by Guest »

There is no "rescue" option listed on the cd's help file :(

#4 Post by Guest »

Any other ideas out there?

simen

#5 Post by simen »

This may sound stupid, but I had a similar problem once: Remember to make sure there's a initrd.(something)-file befitting your kernel in the directory /boot/

--Simen

anon

#6 Post by anon »

What if you used your ubuntu live cd to boot and mount the hd and then do a chroot into your old system?