Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Boot messages / kernel log

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
PredatorCK

Boot messages / kernel log

#1 Post by PredatorCK »

Probably quite stupid question, but I can find the kernel logfile of the last boot in
/var/log/dmesg, but these are not all messages (especially error messages) which are displayed when starting the box, so where is the rest...???

Oh, and I saw once that someone basically stopped the messages on startup and released them again afterwards with a certain shortcut combination, those would be helpful as well...

THX in advance

startx

#2 Post by startx »

so where is the rest...???
/var/log/boot
/var/log/messages
/var/log/deamon.log
/var/log/kern.log

and off course lots of applications have their own logfiles.
debian squeeze for everyday life, many other versions for the rest

anon

#3 Post by anon »

Some messages are only echoed, there's an option somewhere that you can set that logs more (sorry I don't know where).
The magical shortcut combo you're looking for is the key named <scroll lock> ;-) (or somesuch), then to move up, down press <shift><page up>,<shift><pagedown>, to release press <scroll lock> again.