Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

vsFTPd

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Carlosinfl

vsFTPd

#1 Post by Carlosinfl »

I just installed vsFTPd on my Debian machine and I was wondering if anyone has ever used this as their FTP server?

I have some questions about common setup and procedues.

Thanks!

#2 Post by Guest »

yeah i've used vsftpd. what is that u wanna noe?

Carlosinfl

#3 Post by Carlosinfl »

When I installed vsftpd on my Debian machine, it creates a user "ftp" and a home dir of "/home/ftp".

I don't use this directory nor do any of my FTP users since everyone has a local user account on the machine and is restricted to their home dir.

Can I just delete this "ftp" user or will that break and effect my vsFTPd server?

Carlosinfl

#4 Post by Carlosinfl »

Carloswill wrote:When I installed vsftpd on my Debian machine, it creates a user "ftp" and a home dir of "/home/ftp".

I don't use this directory nor do any of my FTP users since everyone has a local user account on the machine and is restricted to their home dir.

Can I just delete this "ftp" user or will that break and effect my vsFTPd server?
Anyone?

Re: vsFTPd

#5 Post by Guest »

Carloswill wrote:I just installed vsFTPd on my Debian machine and I was wondering if anyone has ever used this as their FTP server?
When trying to install ftp server (vsftpd) it requires to remove packages like ephiphany, gnome, gnome-desktop-enviroment..... I was wondering wheter it is possible to install vsftpd (or any other ftp server) and still keep the GUI.

I'm aware that this approach ain't wise, but I only need an FTP server for a small intranet and security is not an issue.