Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Windows Share

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Carlosinfl

Windows Share

#1 Post by Carlosinfl »

I just got Debian up and running and is great. I would love to know how I can access files on a share drive on a NTFS partition on another machine.

\\headh\test is the path that all other Windows machine map the share folder from. The IP for the Windows machine is 192.168.1.100 and my Debian machine is 192.168.1.101.

I don't know if I have SAMBA installed and or how to set this up. Can you guys give me a hand?

Thanks.

Re: Windows Share

#2 Post by Guest »

Carloswill wrote:I just got Debian up and running and is great. I would love to know how I can access files on a share drive on a NTFS partition on another machine.

\\headh\test is the path that all other Windows machine map the share folder from. The IP for the Windows machine is 192.168.1.100 and my Debian machine is 192.168.1.101.

I don't know if I have SAMBA installed and or how to set this up. Can you guys give me a hand?

Thanks.
You may be able to just use smbclient and/or smbfs.

Do a package search for smb and you will get lots of packages.
I'm not certain if you need the whole Samba package or not.

You can also check out Synaptic for any of those packages and install them from them from within synaptic.

#3 Post by Guest »

I don't use synaptic, just APT but I guess that would be the same thing, right?

What do I search for specifically or does anyone know specifically what I will need to mount a NTFS share on my Debian box?

Carlosinfl

#4 Post by Carlosinfl »

^
That was me btw...

wojtasl

#5 Post by wojtasl »

is it installed? it depends on the config youve chosen ;) try apt-get it. if its there youll know :) (or just try #: locate smbmount )

whole package is named samba.
it contains smbmount which allows you to mount ntfs shares (or any shares within your system fs support)

i dont remember correct syntax but its really simple like:
smbmount 'share' 'mountpoint'

personally i use komba2 package (GUI frontend for samba). it allows you to mount/dismount and check status of pdc/smb-host, clients and their shares. try it if you'd like :)

so: apt-get install samba will be good enough for starters :)
basic config for the smb.conf settings is in the manual so try look at it for a moment. it takes about 5mins or less to set it up for the share you want...

cya
wojtasl