Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

remote ssh

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.

remote ssh

#1 Post by Guest »

I have cox cable and using Debian Sarge. I have sshd running and am wondering how I can ssh into my box from work. What do I need to set up?

lacek

#2 Post by lacek »

If you don't have a firewall, you need to set up virtually nothing. All you need is to instruct your ssh server to start at boot time (you can change this by calling dpkg-reconfigure ssh).
After this, you can ssh into your home computer, provided you know the IP address of it.
If you have a dynamic IP address (like DSL), you may want to install the ez-ipupdate package, and register for a free domain (for example, at http://dyndns.org). After the registration is complete, and you set up the ez-ipupdate program, you may connect using the name you registered.

If you have a firewall (which is, by the way, the suggested approach), you need to open the TCP port#22 to allow ssh clients to connect.

Any more questions?

dynamic ip

#3 Post by Guest »

i installed ez-ipupdate, but the server is behind router and ez-ipupdate sends my local ip (192.168.0.4) to www.dyndns.org instead of internet ip.
/etc/ez-ipupdate/dyndns.conf:
#!/usr/local/bin/ez-ipupdate -c
#
# example config file for ez-ipupdate
#
# this file is actually executable!
#

service-type=dyndns
#service-type=dyndns-static
user=myuserid:mypassword
host=mydomain.whatever.com
interface=eth1
max-interval=86400

# please create this file and ensure that the user that ez-ipupdate is running
# as has write permissions to it then uncomment this line, if you don't your
# dyndns account will probably get banned. if you run ez-ipupdate as root (bad
# idea, use "run-as-user") then you can just uncomment this line.
#cache-file=/etc/ez-ipupdate.cache.eth1

# for the mean time we'll just use a cache file in the temp directory
cache-file=/tmp/ez-ipupdate.cache

# uncomment this once you have everything working how you want and you are
# ready to have ez-ipupdate running in the background all the time. to stop it
# you can use "killall -QUIT ez-ipupdate" under linux.
wildcard
daemon

what is wrong dyndns.conf?

lacek

#4 Post by lacek »

You need to put the ez-ipupdate program needs to be put to the router itself, so it can transmit the IP of the external interface.
Or, if you can't do this, but can get the external IP of your router somehow, you may run ez-ipupdate with the -a switch, after which you can specify the IP to use.
If you don't have a computer as a router, but an ADSL-router box, it surely has some kind of admin access, and zou can see the password there. If you have troubles automatically get the IP from zour router box, feel free to ask...