Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Custom 2.6 Kernel.. grub problems

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.

Custom 2.6 Kernel.. grub problems

#1 Post by Guest »

Ok.. so i'm new to debian. i just compiled a new kernel.. copied over the System.map / bzImage.. to my /boot/ section.. edited the menu.lst and Grub's coming up with a boot error @ /dev/hda2 Kernel Panic

my grub.conf

Nothings changed cept for my kernel path
which goes to

/boot/bzImage-linux-2.6.13.4 root=/dev/hda2 ro
i took out initrd.. do i need it? if so, how do i create an initrd?

ask?

#2 Post by ask? »

i think have a similar problem it comes up with kernel panic: vfs not syncing please specify correct "root=" at bootloader unable to mount /dev/hdc5 or block(0,0) does not exist, or something like that but i know thats the right mount point it works on all the other kernels. mine is kernel 2.6.13.4 too

Haze

#3 Post by Haze »

Correctly compiling and installing a kernel is not a trivial task, especially for new users. Perhaps you should read the Debian Reference manual. Kernel compilation and installation are well explained there. Chapter 2.7 and Chapter 7 deals with the kernel compilation. Why don't you just save yourself some time and trouble and go with the standard Debian kernel? Unstable has 2.6.12, stable is 2.6.8 I think. Once this is installed, you can play around with other kernels and when it breaks you can just reboot with the stock Debian kernel.

Good luck

Haze