Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

NetworkManager

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
chubsmalone

NetworkManager

#1 Post by chubsmalone »

I don't know if this is the right place for this post (feel free to correct me), but...

I have installed unstable debian on my dell inspiron 1200 laptop. I have set up my wireless card with ndiswrapper and it works fine if I use the commands from the command line as root. I found a gui that claims to automatically do many of the things that I have to do from the command line everytime I boot linux. It is NetworkManager.

When I try to do
/NetworkManager-0.4#./configure

It goes through all of its checks and comes back with:
checking for iwlib.h... no
configure: error: iwlib.h not found. Install wireless-tools.

I already have the newest version of wireless-tools.

So, I guess my question is...does anybody know how to fix this? Any ideas for another gui (that works with ndiswrapper) that does as much as NetworkManager claims to do?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

startx

#2 Post by startx »

there is a kde prog called kwifimanager, havent used it for some time so i dont know how good it became meanwhile.

did you check docs of NetworkManager? maybe you need a very new version of the lib you have to compile yourself.
debian squeeze for everyday life, many other versions for the rest

kwifimanager

#3 Post by Guest »

I tried kwifimanager and I don't like it. I am looking for something that will give me the same kind of information about available networks as iwlist/iwconfig from the command line.

When I use Kwifimanager and scan for networks, it shows them all as hidden networks (iwlist shows essid's and all of the other pertinent information).

How do I go about getting the absolute most recent version of iwlib.h? It isn't an apt'abe package. I can't seem to find it elsewhere, and, if I did, I'm not sure I know how to install it.