Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

NETWORK

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.

NETWORK

#1 Post by guest »

After I configured network interface eth0, I constantly receive the message "eth0: Setting half-duplex based on auto negotiated partner ability 0000". Why is that?

RE23

#2 Post by RE23 »

What it means excactly I don't know.
But I think it means you have DHCP configured and eth0 has made contact with the DHCP server and it received a IP adress.

But if someone knows a more precies answer please post ,I'm curious to.

-- greetings RE23

purrkur

Re: NETWORK

#3 Post by purrkur »

guest wrote:After I configured network interface eth0, I constantly receive the message "eth0: Setting half-duplex based on auto negotiated partner ability 0000". Why is that?
Auto negotiation means that your NIC is talking to the switch that it is connected to in order to determine what speed they can talk to each other at. There are four speed possibilities:

100Mbit/sec full duplex
100Mbit/sec half duplex
10Mbit/sec full duplex
10Mbit/sec half duplex

The top one is the fastest. What you are getting is only half duplex connection speed, although you don't know if it is 10 or 100Mbit/sec speed. You should be able to tell though, depending on what exactly you are connecting to.
"If you don't know where you 're going, you'll end up somewhere else"

-- Alfred Adler (1870-1937), Austrian psychiatrist

hacman

#4 Post by hacman »

Actually, because the reply says 0000, it seems like you don't have a switch (which would have answered with a better choice) but a hub.
So, You do not have a choice but to accept half-duplex. Full-duplex transfers are only possible with switches.
Also, you can use

Code: Select all

mii-tool -v
to find the exact capabilities of your hub/switch.