Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Problem with Webmin?

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
tsuehpsyde

Problem with Webmin?

#1 Post by tsuehpsyde »

I install webmin and everything installs as it should, but after the services is started and I go to https://host.com:10000/ it says:

Code: Select all

You are not authorized to view this page 
You might not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you supplied.
The 403 error. It's probably a simple config somewhere or a permission I need to set, but I'm new to Debian and in Gentoo, you just fire it up and it works.

Thanks.

geoffb

Re: Problem with Webmin?

#2 Post by geoffb »

tsuehpsyde wrote:I install webmin and everything installs as it should, but after the services is started and I go to https://host.com:10000/ it says:

You are not authorized to view this page 
You might not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you supplied.
The 403 error. It's probably a simple config somewhere or a permission I need to set, but I'm new to Debian and in Gentoo, you just fire it up and it works.

Thanks.
Did you give the page proper permissions?

chmod a+rx page_in_question

tsuehpsyde

#3 Post by tsuehpsyde »

Uhm, webmin isn't a folder locally installed into the domain's html root folder...it's symbolic and works for any and all domains, so I'd have to know where that folder is located in order to set the permissions, hense why I asked where I had to set the info at.

geoffb

#4 Post by geoffb »

tsuehpsyde wrote:Uhm, webmin isn't a folder locally installed into the domain's html root folder...it's symbolic and works for any and all domains, so I'd have to know where that folder is located in order to set the permissions, hense why I asked where I had to set the info at.
Does `$ ls -l` not show the linked file?

tsuehpsyde

#5 Post by tsuehpsyde »

geoffb wrote:
tsuehpsyde wrote:Uhm, webmin isn't a folder locally installed into the domain's html root folder...it's symbolic and works for any and all domains, so I'd have to know where that folder is located in order to set the permissions, hense why I asked where I had to set the info at.
Does `$ ls -l` not show the linked file?
It's WEBMIN. It RUNS as a service on a different port (namely 10000). :roll:

tsuehpsyde

#6 Post by tsuehpsyde »

The problem turned out to be a configuration error. By default, Debian locks webmin to localhost access only, so you have to lynx into webmin via SSH into your server, then add your IP address (or remove restrictions completely) into the allowed hosts.