Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Newbie - Internet access not functioning correctly

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
b12

Newbie - Internet access not functioning correctly

#1 Post by b12 »

Hello,

I am a newbie, about two weeks with Linux and Debian. I installed sarge with a 2.6.8 kernel stable. Am using xf86 and gnome.

I am connected to the internet via an actiontec dsl gateway.

My problem is Mozilla will report it is connecting to a url but will never actually load anything, just times out. Ping works most of the time. Traceroute too. Konqueror has no trouble at all. Sometimes, if I ping www.metacrawler.com first, then Mozilla will actually load it. Apt-get and synaptic work, but often require me to ping the repository first.

We have two windows machines and two Debian machines. Both Debian machines have exactly the same problem. Neither of the windows machines are having a problem.

I have worked on this for almost 5 days now. I have read a multitude of articles, and man pages. Looked at bug reports, reinstalled Mozilla, upgraded, and downgraded it. Reinstalled the whole system twice. I have fiddled with /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/hosts hosts.conf resolv.conf. Tried dhcp and static.

Hoped I would learn to solve this on my own. But I am such a newbie I don't really understand half of what I am reading. I would sure appreciate any assistance anyone might offer..

Thank you!

jobezone

Re: Newbie - Internet access not functioning correctly

#2 Post by jobezone »

b12 wrote:Hello,

I am a newbie, about two weeks with Linux and Debian. I installed sarge with a 2.6.8 kernel stable. Am using xf86 and gnome.

My problem is Mozilla will report it is connecting to a url but will never actually load anything, just times out. Ping works most of the time. Traceroute too. Konqueror has no trouble at all. Sometimes, if I ping www.metacrawler.com first, then Mozilla will actually load it. Apt-get and synaptic work, but often require me to ping the repository first.

We have two windows machines and two Debian machines. Both Debian machines have exactly the same problem. Neither of the windows machines are having a problem.

I have worked on this for almost 5 days now. I have read a multitude of articles, and man pages. Looked at bug reports, reinstalled Mozilla, upgraded, and downgraded it. Reinstalled the whole system twice. I have fiddled with /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/hosts hosts.conf resolv.conf. Tried dhcp and static.

Hoped I would learn to solve this on my own. But I am such a newbie I don't really understand half of what I am reading. I would sure appreciate any assistance anyone might offer..

Thank you!
I really don't know what may be the problem. The only advice I can give you is, if you can't get help here, to try debian's mailing lists, for example in debian-user . http://lists.debian.org . Remember to create a special folder in your mail application to filter messages from the mailing list there, as the number of messages may be huge, depending on the mailing list you subscribe.
The Debian Documentation website contains the FAQ, Installation Manual and the Release Notes for Etch. They're helpful if you want to learn more about debian!

takumi

#3 Post by takumi »

b12 wrote:Hello,

Thank you!

I have exactly the same problem!

Also, Opera and Firefox don't work :(

And the big problem is: KONQUEROR and KOPETE SUX!

geoffb

#4 Post by geoffb »

takumi wrote:Also, Opera and Firefox don't work :(

Listing the errors you get would help.

As for your opinion on Konqueror and Kopete, there are numerous other programs out there. You're in no way restricted to using them.

takumi

#5 Post by takumi »

geoffb wrote:

As for your opinion on Konqueror and Kopete, there are numerous other programs out there. You're in no way restricted to using them.
I know, but I can't use them :(

geoffb

#6 Post by geoffb »

takumi wrote:
geoffb wrote:

In a terminal, type firefox.

Post what you see here.

takumi

#7 Post by takumi »

geoffb wrote:
takumi wrote:
geoffb wrote: Listing the errors you get would help.

Post what you see here.

Code: Select all

(firefox-bin:5417): Gtk-WARNING **: Incapaz de localizar motor de temas na module_path: "clearlooks",
*** loading the extensions datasource

(firefox-bin:5417): Gtk-WARNING **: Incapaz de localizar motor de temas na module_path: "clearlooks",

Oh, and "Incapaz de localizar motor de temas na module_path: "clearlooks"" means "Incapable of locate themes engine at module_path "clearlooks""

geoffb

#8 Post by geoffb »

takumi wrote:
geoffb wrote:
takumi wrote:

Post what you see here.

Oh, and "Incapaz de localizar motor de temas na module_path: "clearlooks"" means "Incapable of locate themes engine at module_path "clearlooks""
Are you using Gnome or KDE?

#9 Post by Guest »

geoffb wrote:
takumi wrote:
geoffb wrote: In a terminal, type firefox.

Post what you see here.

Are you using Gnome or KDE?
Gnome, but in KDE is the same...

#10 Post by Guest »

b12

Thank You, Everyone for Replying!

#11 Post by b12 »

Truly, I appreciate everyone' s helpful replies.

It turns out that the real problem is that secondary dns isn't resolving. This leaves most of the internet unaccessable.

The reason. I am using a Action Tec GT701-WG dsl gateway and my ISP is Qwest.net.

When using dhcp, resolv sets the gt701 as the nameserver. the gt701 does a pretty good job a resolving the primary domain but does not (for some reason) resolve the secondary. I hope I am understanding this correctly.

The second dns nameserver resolv specifies is the actual quest.net dns. Unfortunately, unless the first dns is broken, the second dns is not queried.

tethereal shows me that Window with IE is quering both dns servers by default. Konqueror I haven't watched, but it must be doing something like that.

My solution, specify static ips for every linux, and in resolv.conf specify the nameservers to be your isp's dsn servers, don't use the modem or default gateway as the dns server.
In my case, the modem is at 192.168.0.1

Thank you all for your offers of assistance, I am truly grateful... :D

Thank you, Bob

shag

#12 Post by shag »

thankyou very much,
I've been searching for a solution to this same problem for ages
and your suggestions worked straight away, thanks heaps,
your a dead set champion...