Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Which mail server(s)?

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
tongro

Which mail server(s)?

#1 Post by tongro »

I want to set up an e-mail server on a Debian server for a small local network, but I'm confused with the variety of programs available.

I'm looking for something which will:
- Accept outgoing mail, process it, and forward it to an external server
- Download mail from an external POP server, process it, and store it in users' inboxes
- Route internal mail to inboxes
- Provide IMAP access for users

Can somebody suggest a good configuration which would provide those facilities?

Thanks a lot.

Jeroen
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#2 Post by Jeroen »

You want a mail transfer agent, like exim4, for points 1 and 3. You probably want fetchmail for point 2. You want any kind of imap server for point 4, like dovecot, courier, cyrus, or any other.

tongro

#3 Post by tongro »

Thanks for that, Jeroen.

The consensus on the web seem to be that Exim (SMTP) and Dovecot (IMAP) would be good choices for a small installation like mine.

However, it seems that getmail is favoured over fetchmail for POP download. Would getmail be the better choice in this situation?

Jeroen

#4 Post by Jeroen »

I have no experience with getmail, so I don't know. fetchmail is the only program I knew for this, and is definitely the most well known one. That doesn't say anything about quality and applicability for your usecase though.