Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Wireless config with Dell Latitude

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
RWC

Wireless config with Dell Latitude

#1 Post by RWC »

Hi everyone, I got a wireless card for my Dell Latitude CPX 500mhz (WPC54G from Linksys). The power light lights up during the boot-up, but it doesn't get recognized by the system. I tried booting from my original kernel (2.6.8) but that didn't work either. I don't even get a beep out of the computer when I insert it, which I usually do when inserting other peripherals. Is there a kernel module I left out?

My wireless on my Toshiba works fine when I boot with Knoppix, but this one doesn't get recognized by Knoppix for some reason. So apparently i have a hardware issue?

Any help appreciated.

RWIndiana

RWIndiana

#2 Post by RWIndiana »

Hi, got it working with ndiswrapper, though I had to upgrade to the latest version. I just used the driver off the CD that came with. For some reason the driver did not work at first (when I went ndiswrapper -l it said invalid driver), but then I also added the .sys file from the CD as well as the lsbcmnds.inf file, and it magically started working. That may not be why, as it told me that the .sys file was an invalid driver. But once they were both in there, the .inf file was properly loaded. Weird.

I mainly used this page: http://ch.tudelft.nl/~arthur/wpc54g/
Though it's a little old I think.